Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently inherited an old Peugeot Reynolds frame with a Reynolds 531 fork. I am building the frame up right now and need a pair of brakes and some other parts. The hole for the brake bolt and recessed nut is 6mm in diameter, and newer brakes do not fit in this small hole. I am new to this and am curious what a reliable/inexpensive pair of long reach brakes. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ebay should find you a pair. Any of the French units would work. Mavic Racers, Professionals, or Duraforge(or whatever they are called). I have heard of a few lucky enough to file shorty reach calipers so that the pads can be adjusted low enough to work. I wouldn't suggest this. Sounds like a fun build. Just did one myself. Mavic professional calipers, Stronglight crank, pretty much the rest is Campy.
Dave
KC

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought a pair of dual pivot long reach brakes from Nashbar. They wouldn't fit through the brake bridge or the front fork. Simple solution: I took my handy/dandy cordless drill and drilled out the existing holes out the the needed size. Worked like a charm. BTW the Nashbar brakes work just fine, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.