Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I did a 75 mile race in May. Leading up to it I did a bunch of 3-4 hour rides and finished the race in 10th place and 30 mins less then my 2007 time.

My question is do I really need those long rides when all the races I have left are less then 30 miles?

With work and the kids home now its hard to get those long rides in working a swing shift.

Thanks!

Gall

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a school of thought that high intensity short workouts of an hour or two can help compensate for a lack of time in the saddle; however, I have never heard of a coach recommending such in lieu of the long ride. It was always in the context of a rider being unable to get the time in.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iliveonnitro,

iliveonnitro,

I wont be doing anything longer then 30 miles this year. Its actually easier for me to get longer rides in when the young ones are in school.

So my question is for the rest of 2008 do I need those long rides if my races are less then 31 miles.

Thanks!

Gall

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
long rides, though, are for more than prepartion for long races. Track pursuiters, for example, put in tons of road miles even though their event lasts a bit over 4 minutes. If the goal is to continue improving threshold power etc., then shouldn't the weekend include at least some long miles? Hunter Allen, for example, suggests rides of 4-5 hours Sat/Sun in his summer training plans, including threshold and higher work and tempo/endurance pace.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well, I'm no exercise physiologist. But I've read often that LSD (that's 'long, slow, distance) riding is better for weight loss. Worked for me when I had a road bike; lost about 20lbs. Now I only ride a SS MTB, which type of riding seems to make me stronger for short bursts and climbing, but it doesn't seem to be as good for weight control. Heh...maybe when I get to the point where I can ride 75 miles at a time on it, but I don't see that happening any time real soon, here...

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
new coaching systems..

are more and more preaching time over distance...if your 30 mi. race is going to take you say 1:10, then you can get away from training for 45-60 minutes of higher intense intervals twice a week, bookended by two basic rest days...with a LSD ride in the middle of whatever distance you like.

think about it...would you like to leave it all on the road during a training ride..or during a race?

PM me if you'd like...be happy to share our current training schedule...the more we stick to it, the stronger and faster our team is becoming...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
It's been a long time since I've heard LSD be referred to as long slow distance."

It's long steady distance. I think it was Millar's coach from 2004/2005 who said his 4-6hr LSD rides, by the middle of the season, were around 25-26mph. Anything but slow.

F*.

I just did 2 days back to back.. 60 miles. 17.x avg on the trail.

I pedal along some what unmotivated, until say I hook up with someone willing to do some work with me. Today I got passed by a tri guy with a TT bike, so I hooked onto that. He was flat out 24 steady. If he wasn't there, I maybe would have done 18-20 solo...

There are plenty of stop signs.. so gotta be careful.. relatively flat. Do get wind in either direction.

anyways, today's 60 miles felt better.

I'm going to try one more day of 60 miles (maybe more?).. depending on if I can get a long distance ride in between the rain drops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.