Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

My question is about food intake.
I'm riding 40 km every day, and sometimes at weekends 100 km.

If i'm drinking only water with pink salt in my rides 'm very fine, not tired at all, very nice, but if i eat (Sugar, fruits, dried fruits or nuts i began to a crash state, sleepy, tired, etc.

What do you think of this?

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
Pink salt doesn't offer any benefit. Don't waste your money on it.

How much Sugar, fruits, dried fruits or nuts are you eating. None of these should be causing the effects you describe.

I find it hard to believe you ride 100km on merely water and you're fine. But if you add some carbs and you crash.
Are you comparing rides of similar effort levels? What kind of effort level are you riding at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking your time to help me.

I eat for example 6 dates pitted, per hour, or a handfull of walnuts.
It's very strange but when i eat i feel that symptoms.
I usually ride in 3 or 4, depends.

With this water only i can ride many miles without crashing.
Maybe as to do something with Electrolytes, an imbalance?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Ever been tested for diabetes?
Try not eating sugars. Why are you eating on some rides and not others, are U eating a meal before, on both rides?

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
40 Posts
Dried fruits require a lot of water to digest. They will need to get back to natural hydration level in your stomach in order to be digested. This takes a lot of fluid and may make your stomach hurt.
There is a lot on the web about how much water to drink per hour of cycling, and food intake, and what to eat.

You really need to be drinking and eating a fair amount if you go beyond one hour.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
I usually ride in 3 or 4, depends.
Zone 3-4 or RPE 3-4?

It's very strange but when i eat i feel that symptoms.
Do you feel these symptoms immediately after eating or after some time?

I eat for example 6 dates pitted, per hour, or a handfull of walnuts.
I think you're eating totally the wrong foods. You need more simple carbs.

6 dates per hour is a LOT. You body can only digest ~200-300 calories per hour and 30-60g of carbs during exercise. You're on the limit of that if you're eating regular dates. And if you're eating Medjool dates your way over.
Plus dates are very high in fiber. Which slows down digestion. You're consuming an entire days worth of fiber just from the dates you're eating.

Same with walnuts. High in fat and fiber. Fat slows down digestion. Eating a whole handful. Wowzers. Stop eating these while riding.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Everything that has been discussed has been about eating while riding. OP, what are you eating beforehand? Generally I can do 40km on an almost empty stomach. If I'm riding 100km, I need to finish a big breakfast at least an hour before I start riding. And the food and water intake the day before also makes a difference. If you're feeding yourself to finish a ride, in a way you're eating too late unless it's a long long ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts