Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is visiting NY from the UK to do an 8-day bike ride with a friend across NY State, Buffalo to Albany along the Erie Canal, and wants to borrow a bike for 10 days this summer. Can anyone provide any recommendations for long-term NY bike rentals in this scenario?

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
My dad is visiting NY from the UK to do an 8-day bike ride with a friend across NY State, Buffalo to Albany along the Erie Canal, and wants to borrow a bike for 10 days this summer. Can anyone provide any recommendations for long-term NY bike rentals in this scenario?
I doubt you will be able to find a one-way bike rental. I Googled bike rentals in Buffalo and there was nothing but low end city bikes and e-bikes. If your dad has a bike you may find it cheaper to just pay the airline fee and bring it with him. Another option might be to see if his friend can borrow a bike from a fellow cyclist

·
Registered
273 Posts
Not easy. I have always considered a low cost bike from somewhere, shop, FB marketplace, garage sale, whatever, borrow from someone. Put up an add. You have time to get the bike prepped for use this summer. When done with it sell, keep, trade.

·
Registered
257 Posts
3 options I can think of:

1. Bike shops or businesses that rent bikes:
Unlimited Biking
looks like they rent aluminum road bikes for $299/week, $499/month. Best Bike Rental & Tours - Unlimited Biking
R&A rents bikes for Gran Fondo NY. Maybe they rent ad hoc as well: Gran Fondo NY | R&A Cycles
Roula, high-end bike rentals: Road Race Bike Rental |Bike Hire Near Me|Cycle On Rent|High End Road Bike Rental|New York|Nyc|Roula
Rapha came to mind as well, mentioned above

2. Cycling Clubs or Organizations:
Clubs and orgs can probably give you good advice on how to go about finding a reputable service:
New York Cycle Club: Road Bike Rentals in NY | NYCC.org (this info is years old, but maybe contact them for updated info)
Gran Fondo NY might be able to give you good advice about renting a bike.
Googling the term "new york cycling clubs" results in a lot of hits that may be helpful

3. Craigs List:
If you're dad knows the type and size of bike he wants to use, you could help him track down a good used bike locally that may cost about the same as renting. You then have the option of reselling it on CL, so the cost of using the bike for a week or so might be next to nothing.

·
Registered
23,035 Posts
3. Craigs List:
If you're dad knows the type and size of bike he wants to use, you could help him track down a good used bike locally that may cost about the same as renting. You then have the option of reselling it on CL, so the cost of using the bike for a week or so might be next to nothing.
This would be by suggestion.
Whatever you'd pay for a used bike, you'd be able to sell it for the same in a week or two. So long as you don't wreck it.
Even if you sold it for $200 less, you'd still be cheaper than a two week long bike rental.

·
Registered
Bianchi Eros
7 Posts
This would be by suggestion.
Whatever you'd pay for a used bike, you'd be able to sell it for the same in a week or two. So long as you don't wreck it.
Even if you sold it for $200 less, you'd still be cheaper than a two week long bike rental.
Yes. Plus, maybe have a bike shop look it over just to feel sure about the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts