Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old an creaky
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a while. Finally got an account so I could view pictures. I first rode fixed in the spring of '89 trying to follow an Eddy B. training plan on a borrowed Panasonic. I mostly ride Free these days but still have 3 sets of flipity flop hubs and an array of lockrings and cogs.

Anyway, I ride a lot of rural stuff because it's where I am. I've been trying to dial in a comfortable ride for longer forays. I think I got it nailed with the Salsa Casseroll.

Completed the Dirty Kanza 200 race on it and successfully defended my dfl SS place for the 3rd year straight (previous years on mtb's). No issue with the bike except with a bit of mud at the water crossings and very little brake clearance (w/700x37). A few navigational errors on my part added ~ 20 miles, but hell, I just chalk it up to giving 110%.

Anyway, highly recommend the event for those so inclined. A little more than 10,000 feet of climbing in 200 miles. (It was done fixed last year by Matt Wills from Lincoln, NE)

photo credit Joel ****, race promoter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Great looking bike, what size frame, is that a 55? Every time someone posts a picture of a Casseroll it automatically goes to the top of my list of 'bikes I gotta have'. It looks like the perfect do everything bike.

·
Old an creaky
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fuskin said:
Great looking bike, what size frame, is that a 55? Every time someone posts a picture of a Casseroll it automatically goes to the top of my list of 'bikes I gotta have'. It looks like the perfect do everything bike.
It's a 51 but is supposed to fit like a 54. I picked the size based on effective top tube length as I traditionally ride a 55-ish road frame, and use a 1 cm longer stem. The low bb/center of gravity really makes for a stable ride and, to me, the fork feels compliant enough for some light-duty off road stuff. ( I've crossed a cattle guard on a gravel road @ 40 mph).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.