Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
This is my first post in this forum. Nice to see a group of committed bikers, whatever they ride.

First some history. I have been riding bikes since I was 4 years old with a short hiatus during my teenage years. When I returned to biking I bought a road bike and proceeded to destroy it in no time. I heard about a new invention called a mountain bike and to make a long story shorter, I have since owned many mountain bikes.

Now, why am I here? Well. my daily commute recently got much longer and none of my bikes works well for getting me around town. I tried converting my old HT to a 2 speed, but this didn't work well. I have a light FS rig and it just doesn't get the job done either. My most comfortable ride is an older all mountain rig, but it is too slow and heavy. Sooooo, I need a new bike! I did some research and came to the conclusion that a 'cross' bike would be best. I tend to jump curbs, take shortcuts through singletrack, etc., but I am not particularly hard on equipment. I would likely use this bike mostly on pavement, but would also use it for smoother dirt trails and might even take it over some drops (I started out on a rigid bike so am not scared to take a non-suspended bike down a steep decline). I am about 6" and 180 lbs.

Finally...my question. After some research and phoning around town for what is available, I have narrowed my choices to the following:
2008 Kona - Jake the Snake
2007 Lemond - Poprad (1x10 with some very nice wheels and a quality component mix)
2007 Jamis - Nova

All are new and all are within my price range. I know it is impossible to say which bike is best for me (fit and desired use make this difficult), but do any of you much more 'cross-savvy' riders have any comments on the pros and cons of these 3 bikes? Any other recommendations?

Thanks to everyone who reads (and hopefully responds) to my post!

Bret

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm fairly new to the cross world; about 2 years new. I've been a hard core Mtbiker for quite a while now. Still learning about cross bikes, but from everything I've read I think your best choice would be the Kona.

not knocking Jamis, they've got great customer service. they've fixed to full suspension bikes I've broken with no problems. that said, it's great that they would do that but I'd prefer not to have to use the warranty (if you know what I mean).

I've riding a Fuji Cross Pro and love it. bought it to race and to train for MTB races.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got a Jamis and a Kona and I really like both of them.
I commuted daily on the Jamis in Vancouver and it tolerated the punishment very well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just one caveat on throwing a drop on a CX bike. The wheels you're getting are lower-end 700c wheels, not smaller, wider, sturdier MTB wheels, so the potential to taco one is high. I would suggest if you want to do this, when you buy the bike, make sure the wheels are evenly tensioned and strong enough (many out of the box are true and round to the eye, but if you check the tenions, it tells a different story). Otherwise, you may be ready for your first upgrade :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
i was in the same boat as you...

mtn biker - looking to raise my fitness ceiling, with an interest in cross.

my decision was made when i found a great steel frame with an awesome build...

after doing some searching here, i found that the poprad had been reincarnated as the 'presidio' from gary fisher:

Presidio :D

happy trails.... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poprad sizing question...

Thanks all for your input thus far. I have aother question. After trying several bikes, I am leaning towards the Poprad. It is 57cm; I am 6" with a 34" inseam. I think it would be used primarily for fire road/street style riding. Not too much technical stuff as I have other bikes that would be better suited (but as I said, it might be occassionally subjected to more abuse). Will this frame size work? I did search Poprad sizing and the answers are confusing. The Poprad does seem sized large, but with mountain bikes, I am always finding I need to slide back as far as I can on the seat and set the seat back as far as it will go. I think I am somewhat long limbed so thay I may need the larger frame size. Also, considering the intended use a larger frame may work? Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
maybe not

I am 5'11" with a 33 inseam. I bought a Poprad frame a few years ago. Built it up ...and the 57 was fine for top tube but standover was too much. I sold it and bought a 56 Soma Double cross, semi compact frame... not as nice tubing but a great all around bike. Does everything you want and has rack mounts.

Cross bikes generally should be fit a little smaller then a roadie, especially if you're gunna see some techy dirt stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts