Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i've got a pair of zipp 404 wheelset. i'm using the zipp 40mm valve extension
with the normal presta tubes with 48mm valve stem length.

the problem i have is it's a beotch to get 120psi in my tires. the zipp valve extension
leaks as soon i go past 90psi. anybody has any recommendation?

1. should i just get some teflon tape and put on the valve stem?
2. should i use removable core tubes along with tufo valve extension?
3. should i just get the tubes with 80mm valve stem and forget #1 and #2 above?

thanks! :idea:

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Try #1 first, then go right down the list. You pretty much nailed it in terms of ease and cost. I've never had complaints with method #1 (usually Conti Comps on 404's) during my shop days. Zipp extenders are nice because of the internal 3mm allen fitting so you can get 'em nice and snug. Don't skimp on the plumber's tape, and good luck!

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
... the only caveat with telfon (plumbers) tape... don't use so much as to clog the valve!

Also, consider a small drop of Blue Loctite (240 and/or 242) to snug things up a bit. Again, be careful where the Loctite goes! This works well for me.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
AH1 said:
I personally hate the extenders. I use the Kenda 80mm valves. @$5.50/tube on a set of $2k, wheels, it's not a huge expense, and it's far more convenient.

Yeah, when possible, I'd go for tubes with long valves but there are limits even here. I run an old set of HED 90 Stingers which are 90mm deep! Also, I hate using extree long stems on conventional rims... it looks geeky and oh, all that extree weight!!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.