Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the forum much lately since after my company was bought out, we are in the process of moving to a new building. My responsibility has been to get the data center ready to be moved in less than 3 weeks. As a result I have been putting in 50-60 hour weeks.

So out of curiosity for those that commute by bike, if/when you have long work days, do you still commute by bike? While its not draining on me, I do feel it really saps the time out of everything else. I essentially get to work, work for 10-12 sometimes 14 hours then ride home with only enough time to make dinner/lunch and have a shower without squeezing out too much sleep.

Even when I drive in, I just end up staying later knowing that I have a little more time since my commute is shorter.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
Even when I drive in, I just end up staying later knowing that I have a little more time since my commute is shorter.
I don't have an answer to your questions. However, if you are going end up using the extra time you would gain by driving, I would ride my bike. My bike probably like your bike affords us many things such as stress relief, exercise, an outlet to sort your day out in your head and allow you to do something you love. I assumed you love riding and your commute? I personally wouldn't give it up (the ride).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
50-60 hours is a normal work week for me. It's actually longer with the bike because I leave earlier to avoid the heaviest traffic. The thing that sucks is having no energy and initiative when I do have free time.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
If you use up the time saved by driving by working more, you should stick with the bike. It's an investment in physical and mental health.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I went through a phase where I worked 70-90 hour weeks for about 3 years, average 6 day work week. I didn't have a parking spot, so had no choice but ride day or night all weather. My commute, however was fairly short a little over 3 miles and, though hilly, not onerous regarding traffic, etc.

50% of the time I found it invigorating and glad I could do, 40% of the time, didn't really think about, just something I did, and 10% didn't particularly enjoy it. The bad weather, except on the absolute coldest and snowiest days didn't get me down and I actually enjoyed the challenge.

A longer or more dangerous commute my attitude might have been different.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I know it's not easy but try to stick with the bike for as long as possible. You're most likely sitting in a desk all day, you need the exercise.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
5-day, 50 hour work week is pretty normal. it's pitch black when I drive to work, and dark when I'm driving home. Overtime pay? ha! Not in the world of Salary.

6 days, 60 hours... that's when it starts to get long.

In the winter months, doesn't bother me too much. Summer months... I try my best to do no more than 45 hours and spend time outside. But, I do some work at night with my laptop computer sitting at the kitchen table.

Work sucks sometimes, but it's hard to pay the bills without they paycheck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it's not easy but try to stick with the bike for as long as possible. You're most likely sitting in a desk all day, you need the exercise.
On the contrary, I am at my desk about 40% of the time, the rest I am racking and unracking hardware in the 20-50 pound range, running cables and other hardware tasks. The rest of my team does most of the software aspects and why I enjoy my position so much.

On the bright side, come March, I can probably dial down the hours a bit, but my commute will be longer. My current commute is 5.5 miles one way, the new office is closer to 11 miles one way.

Also yes, I do enjoy the ride, I guess I just need better discipline on how many hours I spend at work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.