Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a pair of Sidi Genius for the last 5 years. Do you replace them on a regular basis, ride them till they break or replace them when you find a prettier pair?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Just call me Imelda Marcos

BikinCO said:
I have been riding a pair of Sidi Genius for the last 5 years. Do you replace them on a regular basis, ride them till they break or replace them when you find a prettier pair?
Just because you have one pair of serviceable cycling shoes does not mean that you can't buy more. I have a pair of Sidi Genius shoes that I bought over five years ago -- and three other pairs of Sidi's that I have bought since then. It's nice to have at least two pairs of shoes so that if one pair gets wet, you can use the other pair while the wet pair dries out. It also is nice to have a really well ventilated pair for hot weather, and a more closed pair for colder weather. You get the picture.

I know people who have shoes older than my 5 year old Sidis, ride more miles than I do and still are wearing their old shoes. If something is working I see no need to replace it.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Sidi

Well poor planning on your part. The Sidi shoes will last forever and never go out of style. The only way I got a new pair was when my son grew to my size and I gave him my seven year old pair which he beat on for another two years until he outgrew them and now they are my rain shoes.

If you want new shoes go buy them but don't come here looking for justification because you probably don't need them.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Until recently, I was riding the same pair of Sid road shoes since '96. The heel eventaully pulled from the sole. I was able to glue it down for a year before I spilled the beans for a new pair. I figure I'm good for another 10 years now.

FWIW, I still use a pair of MTB shoes from that same time. They are no longer my main off-road shoe but they are fine.

The rule, "You get what you pay for" holds true for cycling shoes.

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to replace them if they do not need to be replaced. That is why I asked about the longevity.

·
iedereen op de fiets
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rule, "You get what you pay for" holds true for cycling shoes.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. I never buy cheap stuff. Two examples:

1. I was given a CyclOps fluid trainer for Christmas in 1998. I started leaking a month ago. I contacted Saris and they sent me a new resistance unit at no charge. I just had to send them the old one, it cost me $13.00.

2. I had a pair of Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor bibs that I purchased in the fall of 2002 at the PI outlet in Silverthorne, CO. I finally wore them out and took them back last month to the PI outlet north of Atlanta, GA and they were replace with this years model with the 3D chamois at no charge.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Nine

MarkS said:
...Sidi collection is even better than mine.
Nine pair of Genius and Dominators floating around in our basement.

Me (3) Road, Off Road, Rain (10 year old pair)
Wife (3) Road, Off Road, Rain (lower model without ratchet)
Son (3) Road, Off Road, BMX (old pair that he outgrew)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Maybe they've improved but I never had very good luck with Sidis in the 80s and early 90s. Went through quite a few pairs--they'd get stretched out, the velcro would wear out, etc. Carnacs seem to last forever for me, though. Had the same two pairs of Carnac road and mtb shoes for the last ten years. Bought a new pair recently only cause I was afraid they were going to switch over completely to that annoying ratchet system.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
I have 2 pairs of Sidi Dominators

I have 2 pairs of Sidi Dominators that I change only when 1 pair has become wet from the rain and I need a dry pair. They are both 4 or 5 years old by now and are still going strong.

I ride everyday.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Wow, many Sidi fans here...

I got wide feet, so no Sidis for me.

The Shimano shoe is fairly solid. I am sure I can get more than 3-4 years out of them, but I get a new pair every 1~2 years anyway. Good shoes are such that you just forget them, so upgrading doesn't come to mind very often. I think 1 pair of shoes for each bike you own sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
call me "pseudo old school"

I would be surprised if their aren't at least a few of you that used to have a pair of these. These are from 1986. In 1986 there were 2 Look Style shoes available, both of which were made by look(or you could use the template provided with their pedals and drill your shoes). There may have been a 3rd, a lower end model(but I don't think so). This was their top of the line shoe. And is my clipless shoe today. Comfortable, works great, don't smell, and appear to be efficient. 20 years and still going strong. The other shoe is a little more worn but still fully functional. I don't ride clipless all the time though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
I would be surprised if their aren't at least a few of you that used to have a pair of these. These are from 1986. In 1986 there were 2 Look Style shoes available, both of which were made by look(or you could use the template provided with their pedals and drill your shoes). There may have been a 3rd, a lower end model(but I don't think so). This was their top of the line shoe. And is my clipless shoe today. Comfortable, works great, don't smell, and appear to be efficient. 20 years and still going strong. The other shoe is a little more worn but still fully functional. I don't ride clipless all the time though.
whoa, that is hardcore. you can officially say that you have cycling shoes older than me. i just got PWNED!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
cmatcan said:
whoa, that is hardcore. you can officially say that you have cycling shoes older than me. i just got PWNED!!
pffft..... damn kidz.
When the weather's nice and the DeRosa is feeling neglected, out come my trusty Adidas Merckx shoes that i purchased sometime around 1978.On their 4th pair of nail-on cleats and they still look to have plenty of miles left in them.
Also have a sweet pair of mesh Duegi's from about 82 that still get the occassional ride but I'm on my last pair of single-bolt cleats for those.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
I believe my detto pietro's came with a bunch of small nails but I don't think I ever had to use them. Were they for further stabilizing the cleat? I just remember thinking "that's messed up" i mean the nails get pounded in the direction of your sole. Someone care to explain? I think there was a central allen nut that attached the cleat and unfortunately I don't know what happened to them. As I recall there were small holes (for nails) around the edges of the cleat.

·
Registered
362 Posts
More than likely your shoes are fine. I bought a pair of Axo's in 2001 on clearance from Nashbar or the likes for around $40 and they have been my main mtn., road and cross shoe since then. I would replace them but noone makes a gaudy yellow shoe that I like quite as much. They still work as good as they ever have, and speaking qualitativly (is that a word?) your Sidi's still have plenty of time left in them.

·
170 Posts
What about Diadora?

No mention of Diadora, so I feel I must give them an honorable mention--

when I bought my first road bike 7 years ago, I had the option of buying 30 dollar mtb shoes or a $90 pair of Diadoras...as a HS student who washed dishes, 90 bucks was a lot.

Still got the Diadoras, and still love'em.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Wearout?

I always have from three to six sets lying around. The longest I kept a pair was five years and other than being scuffed up they were fine but I was bored with them. I never keep a set long enough to wear them out. If I see something I like on close out and I buy it. When I get tired of them away they go. I always rotate what ever shoes I have so they get time to dry out so at the most, I ride the same set two times in a week.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts