Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS said when it comes time to replace my current 2005 Ultegra chain/cassette (10 speed, 12-25) that Ultegra-10 chain/cassette components will last longer than DuraAce at small expence of weights (80 grams for cassette and 20 grams for chain?).

What are your opinions? Should I spend more money on D/A chain and cassette? I really do not care about extra 100-120 (?) grams of weight, I want shifting reliability and longevity. I do not race, I just do fitness riding. Sadly, I am really bad at cleaning and oiling my running gear.

thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think most people would recommend Ultegra.

acid_rider said:
My LBS said when it comes time to replace my current 2005 Ultegra chain/cassette (10 speed, 12-25) that Ultegra-10 chain/cassette components will last longer than DuraAce at small expence of weights (80 grams for cassette and 20 grams for chain?).

What are your opinions? Should I spend more money on D/A chain and cassette? I really do not care about extra 100-120 (?) grams of weight, I want shifting reliability and longevity. I do not race, I just do fitness riding. Sadly, I am really bad at cleaning and oiling my running gear.

thanks
When you break it down, there isn't much reason to use the DA cassette and chain. I've yet to find a difference between the Dura-Ace and Ultegra 10s chains. The Dura-Ace cassette has the four largest cogs made of titanium that saves tinsy bit of weight but will wear out more quickly. I think the choice is pretty clear.

IMO, Shimano has done a poor job of differentiating their 10 speed components. Why go Dura-Ace when Ultegra is 100 bucks less and umpteen grams heavier. But then 105 is only a hair heavier and just as smooth.....aww eff it, buy Campy :( .

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
D-A chains are alloyed with nickel so they are shinier and a bit more corrosion resistant. For most riders an Ultegra chain will last just as long. I prefer D-A chains but usually run Ultegra cassettes on my Shimano bikes.

Al

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I wiped out my Ultegra chain in around 1200 miles and I am fanatical about keeping it clean and lubed and only had one rain ride on it! I went to a Dura-Ace chain and found that the whole drive train is much quieter now, and shifts much better.

On a side note, I heard from the LBS that SRAM 9-speed chains will work on 10-speed. I would love to have a removable link, but SRAM doesn't "officially" support this yet. I don't see how it would actually work because there should be a difference in link and pin widths, but I have not measured them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wippermann/Connex Chains

made of stainless, they make chains specific for shimano or campy, 8/9/10 speeds, tool-free
connex link. I switch from Shimano Dura-ace.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Looks like Zinc plating

Al1943 said:
D-A chains are alloyed with nickel so they are shinier and a bit more corrosion resistant. For most riders an Ultegra chain will last just as long. I prefer D-A chains but usually run Ultegra cassettes on my Shimano bikes.

Al
Checked Shimano's site again and it looks like both the Ultegra and DA chains have zinc-plated outer plates, but only the DA has zinc-coated inner plates. Same weight, same shifting performance, blah, blah....marginal increase in corrosion resistance. It's your call as to which is best for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts