Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set up Look 396 pedals that I think need to be serviced. I took off the pedals and the pedal spin gread with no friction. However if I hold onto the spindle with one hand and onto the pedal with the other and pull the spindle in and out I'm getting some movement. Should there be in and out movement? It's not much but definitely movement that could cause some noise. What do you think?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I used to ride those pedals and there was the same play in the axle. I decided to keep riding them until I could feel the play in my feet. I never could and recently sold the bike with those pedals on them. I'm sure the new owner could ride them for another few years if he wanted to. In short: don't worry about it until your feet are telling you to throw them out or rebuild them (not worth the effort, IMO).

·
Banned
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I'm asking the question is that I'm hearing some noise what seems to be coming from my BB. I started with the pedals and found these babies have some in and out play in the spindle (like I stated in my OP). On their axis the spin freely with no play. But with them in my hand I can get them to creak so I'm starting with the pedals and see if that will eliminate my noise. I agree they aren't worth it to rebuild. So I'll be looking for newer used pedals.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Rule out the dreaded Look cleat-creak first. But if the 396s do creak, it's often coming from in or around the hinge pin for the spring-loaded rear clip. Dribble some light oil into that hinge and see if that takes care of it. Also check the half-moon shaped clip-on dust cover on the bottom of the 396s. It might be loose and creak. Both of my covers fell off over the years and I replaced them with a piece of electrical tape. Those were very nice pedals, actually. Even track riders liked them because at the max tension setting, they're almost impossible to clip out of accidentally.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rule out the dreaded Look cleat-creak first. But if the 396s do creak, it's often coming from in or around the hinge pin for the spring-loaded rear clip. Dribble some light oil into that hinge and see if that takes care of it. Also check the half-moon shaped clip-on dust cover on the bottom of the 396s. It might be loose and creak. Both of my covers fell off over the years and I replaced them with a piece of electrical tape. Those were very nice pedals, actually. Even track riders liked them because at the max tension setting, they're almost impossible to clip out of accidentally.
I started cycling 6/12 and a buddy gave me the 396's and he raced with them. He said they had 3k+ miles on them so I started with the pedals first. I have new wheels, just repacked the BB a few months ago and I did check my quick releases. I have the normal pedal to cleat creak but the noise I have is a clunk, clunk, clunk almost all the time. Really noticeable when I climb hard.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I have the normal pedal to cleat creak but the noise I have is a clunk, clunk, clunk almost all the time. Really noticeable when I climb hard.
I've never had any pedal guts make clunking noises, so I'm not quite sure what to tell you. But if I wanted to check for a pedal clunk, I'd grab the installed and properly torqued pedal with both hands and simulate strong downward and rotational forces. There's a remote possibility that the pedal axle is moving inside the crank's pedal eye, but let's hope that this is not the case.

For what it's worth: while a freshly repacked bottom bracket should not clunk, it still can if it was torqued insufficiently on reinstall.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Take the pedals off, clean the threads on the crank and pedal. Apply a light coat of fresh grease on the pedal threads and re-install. Another Look tip is to keep a bar of soap where you put your shoes on. Rub the bar on your cleats and see if that helps the creaking. I've got 286 and 386 pedals. I've got a set of the carbon ones somewhere that were really light and absolute crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.