Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have this thing going on where my head tube has these 2 small holes drilled into each side. I called the shop I bought the bike from and they asked that I send photos.
Chas or anybody, any ideas??

>>Here are the photos that I was asked to send regarding my LOOK 555 and the
mysterious holes in the head tube.

The Cycle Loft in Burlington MA did the build and they are the ones who pointed
the holes out to me.
They covered them with tape. They are located just about at the 3 and 9 O'clock
positions . That is half way around the head tube when looking at from the
front. They have no clue why or what they are. They are about 1/16 in diameter.
I didn't notice them until they pointed out. The frame stayed in the box until I
brought it in for the build.

I am uncertain as to what to do at this point. Riding season is here. I love the
bike and the build, but I have holes in my head..tube. It can't be right.

View attachment 125184

View attachment 125185

View attachment 125186

View attachment 125187

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
covrc said:
Hey GM,

That is my hope. Though the shop I bought it from didn't think this model had those guides.
I will keep you posted.

covrc
Sounds like a bad case on incompetence. For a shop that carries and sells Looks and can't tell that your frame has holes for the cable guides is pretty lame in my opinion. Find a new shop...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Head Tube Holes

I would never paint an entire LBS with such a broad brush. One guy not knowing what the giude holes were is no reason to disregard a long standing and pleasant relationship.

Mistakes happen and everyone doesn't know everything. I bet there was an instance where this has applied to you too.

So, I offer a little grace for an oversight that I can share with the LBS and am thankful for the knowledge that people here share.

But thanks for replying.

covrc

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
Sounds like a bad case on incompetence. For a shop that carries and sells Looks and can't tell that your frame has holes for the cable guides is pretty lame in my opinion. Find a new shop...
OP does not state the place where he purchased the frame is a Look dealer. Maybe they were not.

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
covrc said:
I would never paint an entire LBS with such a broad brush. One guy not knowing what the giude holes were is no reason to disregard a long standing and pleasant relationship.

Mistakes happen and everyone doesn't know everything. I bet there was an instance where this has applied to you too.

So, I offer a little grace for an oversight that I can share with the LBS and am thankful for the knowledge that people here share.

But thanks for replying.

covrc
Actually if your satisfied with the shop and their job performance that's all that's important, not the opinion of some random third party. That said, the fact that you posted the issue makes me think otherwise. And yes in the many years I did work in a shop from high school through grad school I did make plenty of mistakes but I would never have just covered up some mystery holes in a head tube without due diligence. Having been to that very shop and seen LOOKS for sale how hard would it have been to look at another frame before covering them up? Perhaps I'm too demanding a customer but I still wouldn't let that wrench anywhere near my bikes but hey that's just me...

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
nickb4 said:
OP does not state the place where he purchased the frame is a Look dealer. Maybe they were not.
Perhaps. But the shop that did do the build is or was at one time a Look dealer. Saw them on my last trip up to Boston.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
R2000,

You are right, they were a LOOK dealer til recently. I have been to many of the local shops and I find Cycle Loft to be the best balance of size, attention and welcomeness.

That:s why I tried to show some grace.

Safe Riding All.

covrc

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
covrc said:
R2000,

You are right, they were a LOOK dealer til recently. I have been to many of the local shops and I find Cycle Loft to be the best balance of size, attention and welcomeness.

That:s why I tried to show some grace.

Safe Riding All.

covrc
Yes the shop is nice, I liked it. But the fact that the finish on your frame was damaged by their error is still an issue. I guess what would truely be the last straw is how they take care of you. Have they offered to get you new guides? touch up the marred finish? Let's hope they earn the loyalty and grace you've provided them. IME it's the shops who admit their mistakes upfront and take care of it without having to ask that earn my buisness. Any updates?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey R2000,

LOOK is sending out some guides. I will ask Cycle Loft to install. As for the finish being marred, I think a simple buffing will removed them. The digital camera artifact and sharpening used to emphasize the holes also magnified the finish.

On a customer service not regarding these guys and LOOK. I have been using LOOK pedals for a long time. Cycle Loft has replaced my Keo Carbons twice now. In both instances the pin that holds the platform together, on the Right pedal, on the outside half, had failed. Not good as a quality control issue for LOOK, but in both instances, the pedals were swapped right out. Cycle Loft tries very hard to be a fair shop and succeeds.

Covrc

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Glad to hear LOOK stepped up to the plate, they are known for their great service. The install should be super easy, I doubt you'd need to take it in unless you just want them to do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.