Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I have a friend who has a 87.3 cm inseam and is 183 cm tall (top of saddle at 77cm). He is currently riding a 57 (XL) 555 with a 100cm Ritchey 4-axis stem but feels a bit stretched out. Questions:

1. Is the difference between the 555 and 585 Origin/Ultra and 586 worth the extra coin?
2. Should he be riding a Large frame instead? Seems like there would be a lot of seat post showing a large drop from seat to handlebars.

The friend lives in an area where he can't try the frames beforehand but would like to know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
maybe too large...

With a saddle height of 74cm, I'm riding a 51cm (size S)! If he can tolerate more saddle to bar drop, then moving down one size would be wise. A 100mm stem is certainly short.

It's getting late enough in the year that you may find some bargains on the 585 anytime in the next couple of months. It's got the most bang for the buck. Excel sports has closeout bargains, but none in a size L.

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
C-40 said:
With a saddle height of 74cm, I'm riding a 51cm (size S)! If he can tolerate more saddle to bar drop, then moving down one size would be wise. A 100mm stem is certainly short.

It's getting late enough in the year that you may find some bargains on the 585 anytime in the next couple of months. It's got the most bang for the buck. Excel sports has closeout bargains, but none in a size L.
C-40 are you riding a 586 or 596? If you dont mind me asking with your saddle height of 74cm how much of the seat tube is exposed?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts

stunzeed said:
C-40 are you riding a 586 or 596? If you dont mind me asking with your saddle height of 74cm how much of the seat tube is exposed?
I have two 51cm 585 frames, one origin and one ultra. IMO, it's not worth the extra money for an integrated seatpost. They look like more trouble than they are worth. I like a seatpost with a 2-bolt angle adjustment. I measure 20cm from the top of the seat tube to the seat rail on my bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.