Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which Should I Buy? Help!!! These Are The Only Two Bike (first Time Rider) That Have Interested Me For The Price

Look566 Rival Setup

Or

Giant Tcr Advanced 3

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Sram Rival is better than 105 in looks, feel, and performance.
Look only has 5 year warranty, Giants is lifetime.
Look frame looks flimsy and thin. Rear triangle is not very tight or impressive.
Look bike costs more.
Giants frame is big and beefy, rear triangle is incredibly tight.
Giant has aerodynamic airfoil shape on seatpost (carbon), seat stays, seat tube and has bearings built into the frame.
Ride them to see the difference. I bet they don't have the Look in stock.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Ride them and see what you like.
Don't base it on how something looks like it might be...
The Look might have a more up-right geometry, but the frame is far from flimsy and thin...

Go buy the Giant however, because more people ride them and you'll fit in.
Look only invented the carbon bicycle (not to mention the clipless pedal) and they don't know squat.

Get the one YOU like...!

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Seriously, how can anyone reproach the quality of a Look frame? They're one of the best frame makers in the world. From a general manufacturing point of view, I'd love to hear some evidence to support the claim that Giant makes better frames than Look.

I've got nothing bad to say about Giant, but I know the 566 pretty well: when I bought my Time Edge Pulse a few months ago I had narrowed the choice down to that and the 566...they are both great rides, and the only reason I chose the Time was that the Time dealer gave me a better price than the Look dealer. Look and Time are both local companies for me, and it was easy to do research and figure out how (and where) they produce their bikes, source their carbon, etc. Look is a small company--about 500 employees and 32 million EUR/year--that (as mentioned) invented the carbon frame and clipless pedals and that makes all of its products either here in France or at their only other production facility in Tunisia (that's a long story, but it's not 3rd-world sweatshop action...it's a French-speaking country in the same time zone as France where Look employs 300 people with normal, full-time work contracts, including permanent on-site staff from the mothership).

Giant is indeed giant and produces all of its frames in giant factories in Asia, which are then branded and sold under a variety of different brand names. I'm not saying this means that they can't make a good frame, or even that anything is wrong with making frames in Asia--there are a hundred other threads covering that argument--but I do believe that quality control is better when production is kept small and as local as possible.

In Europe, Look, Time, Orbea, Colnago and (surprise!) Trek enjoy some of the best reputations among non-custom framebuilders.

Also, I agree that the SRAM Rival group is a better deal if the prices are the same, although there's nothing wrong with 105 stuff. You didn't mention the price difference...certainly the Look is more expensive?

All that being said, if the Giant fits you better and "speaks to you" when you ride it in a way that the Look doesn't, well...that's what's most important.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The whole argument about quality is sort of ridiculous. Giant makes maybe a billion times more CF frames in a year than Look ever will. Look has an amazing rep and was innovative in frame design for a long time (notably the main inventor of many of their advances went over to Time later)... They have both been raced, they both have done fine.

I'd just pick based on ride and fit, then perhaps brand snobbery being a second. I think Looks are pretty hot, but Giant does a nice job. In the end, you really can't go wrong for either of them...

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
The whole argument about quality is sort of ridiculous.
I agree, but what is really ridiculous is say things like...
Look frame looks flimsy and thin. Rear triangle is not very tight or impressive.
or
I bet they don't have the Look in stock
Have you ridden the Look to know if it's a flimsy bike?
Have you seen how huge the down tube is in person?
Do you understand why the top tube and chainstays are shaped they way they are?
I'm gonna guess "no".

·
Registered
545 Posts
i could be mistaken

"[Look has an amazing rep and was innovative in frame design for a long time (notably the main inventor of many of their advances went over to Time later)... "

but i thought it was the other way around...

anyway; Time's and Look's and the new Giant Advanced SL's ride amazingly well...
close your eyes and pick one.lol

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Don't get hung up on warranties. The bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away and none of them help if you crash. Here's a corker, Trek has a lifetime warranty on their frames but I've seen the paint flake off from human sweat....and that's not covered by the warranty because "it's not the frame". I have a 03 Look 361 that's been boxed, shipped, racked, trucked and ridden to death without so much as a hairline crack in the paint. That was only a $900.00 frame with a three year warranty. IMO a lifetime warranty is used to sell bikes made by high volume manufacturers who can eat a few every year or lower volume companies that have so much money structured into the price that they can do the same. It doesn't make them any better. I bought the Look for two reasons. One, I have a long torso and the longer top tube was a good fit and, two, the 03 Madone I rode felt like it was made of balsa wood. Buy what feels good to YOU and fits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts