Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All:

Anyone riding a Look 566?

I spent a couple of hours today, looking at a Look 566, with Sram Rival group. The frame and finish looked sweet, and the I liked the Fulcrum 7 wheels compared to the lower end Shimano.The bike is running around 2400-2500 here.

It was pouring today, so I wasn't able to ride it, so I may not be able to try it till next weekend.

Has anyone ridden one, and how does the Sram/Rival perform.

I am also considering a Roubaix Comp.

Thanks,

Joseph

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
I am a big fan of Look and Sram - that is a decent deal on the bike. This bike is very balanced and rides well under a variety of circumstnces - climbing, flats, long hauls, descending. Has more of a race geometry than the Roubaix - which is a good all day bike as well.

Everyone on the forum will tell you to buy the one that fits best - which is true.

Ride them both then decide.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Personally I would upgrade the wheels to Fulcrum 3 or even 1 at least. While more expensive, you will grow into them. Or look at Easton EA 70 or 90 series wheels.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have been riding a 566 since Christmas. I absolutely love it. The SRAM shifts very cleanly, the brakes are powerful. The geometry of the bike is perfect for me. Very snappy climbing and confident descending. Being fitted properly has helped a lot. I am very comfortable in the drops for extended amounts of time.

I love the bike even more after my 97mile 8,000 ft of climbing ride yesterday. Not a pain in my neck/back etc.

The bike is incredibly smooth, soaks up bumps well.

I dont mind the wheels, I came form a heavier wheelset so these feel great to me.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I have spent a little time on the 566. I think it handles fine and rides great. Feels very solid and smooth. I liked the cassette shifting of the Sram, but on the chainring, I had a lot of trouble. It alos sounded noisy. Probably something over time I'd get used to, but I'll stick with Shimano.
The 7's are Fulcrum's bottom of the rung wheel. I would at the least go get a pair of Easton 90SLX's on clearance from Performance and shave a pound. See if the shop might cut you a discount if you tell them you don't want the wheels.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys:

Maximum, and 1stmh, it sounds like the Fulcrum 7 wheels are the weak link here.

I'm thinking it may make more sense to get the Ultegra 566 for $500 more (2999)-- it comes with full Ultegra, and Fulcrum 5 wheels, which are a step up, and I get the Ultegra group.

Joseph

·
Registered
462 Posts
Not totally sure

I was looking at the 566 and wanted the Rival because it was something I hadn't tried yet and I think it weighs less than than Ultegra. I liked the red and black paint job on the Ultegra bike much more than the black and white rival bike. So I ended up with a Scott Addict r4 instead ( with Ultegra sl)!

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I think it depends on which you like more, the Sram or the Ultegra SL. I wouldn't base it on the fact that you are getting the 5's as they are still rather heavy at 1760. The Eastons, will be around 1475. The '09 Eastons are even lighter a @ 1400.
I'm not saying the Eastons are the end all of wheels, but they are a really good value especially at the Performance price. And they will lighten your bike by @ a pound.
Will you notice the difference? I don't know, but if you can get your shop to keep the wheels and knock off the difference, it might be worth it to go spend almost the same money and get the better wheelset. Maybe your shop will do the "upgrade" for you if you talk to them about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts