Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying one of the above bikes in the next few weeks. I have a LOOK already and love it, so I'm leaning to the 595, has anyone riden the Colnago EPS and the 595 and can tell me what they think?

Thanks for any advice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
A friend of mine has just got EPS and he swears it is the best bike he has ever tried.
In last few years he had Dream, C50, Extreme C, 486, 585, 595, and some extreme-six-system-something-whatever Cannondales....so we can say he tried a few.
As he said EPS is the stiffest ever and compliant at the same time, but isn't that what we say for every new frame? :) Also, he broke the rear triangle of 595 in a crash at some race.
Other friend that I know has 585 and 595....if you ask him to choose only one it would be 585.
On the other hand I have De Rosa Neo Pro on the way from the factory :) If I wasn't loyal De Rosa rider I think I would get EPS. The only thing I don't like about EPS is 09 colors...they are awful...only EPS I liked was that blue in Zabel colors.
So if you ask me between EPS and 595 i would take EPS if we exclude color from calculation :) EPS in Zabel colors would be very cool thing to have.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
952 Posts
I would buy the EX Power. That said I would test them both if possible. You can't go wrong with either. Go with what geometry fits you and your riding style/needs..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
Colnago EPS.

i did, here's mine...build ready by end of this week.
 

·
Cpark
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
RICHARD IIII said:
I'll be buying one of the above bikes in the next few weeks. I have a LOOK already and love it, so I'm leaning to the 595, has anyone riden the Colnago EPS and the 595 and can tell me what they think?

Thanks for any advice!
Is your mind set on those 2 frames or open to a third choice?
 

·
Descender
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
I can tell you the 595 is very very stiff - not the most compliant

I ride a 585 and it's the best.

Can't comment on the Colnago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
smokva said:
A friend of mine has just got EPS and he swears it is the best bike he has ever tried.
In last few years he had Dream, C50, Extreme C, 486, 585, 595, and some extreme-six-system-something-whatever Cannondales....so we can say he tried a few.
As he said EPS is the stiffest ever and compliant at the same time, but isn't that what we say for every new frame? :) Also, he broke the rear triangle of 595 in a crash at some race.
Other friend that I know has 585 and 595....if you ask him to choose only one it would be 585.
On the other hand I have De Rosa Neo Pro on the way from the factory :) If I wasn't loyal De Rosa rider I think I would get EPS. The only thing I don't like about EPS is 09 colors...they are awful...only EPS I liked was that blue in Zabel colors.
So if you ask me between EPS and 595 i would take EPS if we exclude color from calculation :) EPS in Zabel colors would be very cool thing to have.


Thats great, thanks. I love the new EPS colours! I was thinking of De Rosa Idol, as I had always thought that when I got my dream bike, I would be a De Rosa, but I've recently thought that the curvey frames are a bit of a fad and will look dated in a few years time, and this bike has to last!!!!! (price quoted for LOOK was £4765!!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
RICHARD IIII said:
Thats great, thanks. I love the new EPS colours! I was thinking of De Rosa Idol, as I had always thought that when I got my dream bike, I would be a De Rosa, but I've recently thought that the curvey frames are a bit of a fad and will look dated in a few years time, and this bike has to last!!!!! (price quoted for LOOK was £4765!!!)
De Rosa Idol is not something I would ride, but my De Rosa Neo Pro is something completely different. It will be built in few days :) As I said my 2nd choice would be EPS in Zabel colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
... I've been doing some ringing around - EPS has a 12 week wait - one guy said could be 7 months! Just in time for winter!!!! I think I might be worth the wait reading some reviews though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
RICHARD IIII said:
... I've been doing some ringing around - EPS has a 12 week wait - one guy said could be 7 months! Just in time for winter!!!! I think I might be worth the wait reading some reviews though.
EPS can be custom build, so if you know what is your perfect geometry maybe you should go custom. From my experience you always wait about 3 months for a top class frames that are built in Italy and are not stocked in great quantities...I think EPS is one of those.
I ordered my Neo Pro on 09.01.2009. and I just got info from factory that it is over and being shipped. 3 months pattern is also present with Colnago, at least all my friends that ordered one waited about that time. During winter you might wait longer because that is when pro team bikes are being built in factory, but on the other hand you can wait whole winter because you won't be riding it anyway :)
To answer you, yes I think you'll probably have to wait 3 months for an EPS.
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
how about the new (old) Saronni paintjob? Looks just like an 80s Master. Beautiful white panel on dark red. Classy, classy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've just rung the UK importers and they confirmed that there is 12 wait, although after some pestering, they rang Italy and they have some un-painted in my size that will only take 6 weeks to come - so on my day off tomo guess what I'm doing? Going to the bike shop to pay the deposit and put in an order!!! I'm tingling with excitment!!!!!!

Not too much of a fan of the old school colours (yes colOUR - I'm English!) I love the white/carbon with small Itallian flag on the fork - full super record and Ritchy bars and stem and Reynolds wheels (my name is Richard Reynolds) - my true dream bike!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,518 Posts
I have a Colnago Dream and a Look 585 Ultra. If money were no object, I would go with the Colnago. I prefer the composed handling of Colnagos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
RICHARD IIII said:
Thats great, thanks. I love the new EPS colours! I was thinking of De Rosa Idol, as I had always thought that when I got my dream bike, I would be a De Rosa, but I've recently thought that the curvey frames are a bit of a fad and will look dated in a few years time, and this bike has to last!!!!! (price quoted for LOOK was £4765!!!)
I came from a Derosa Idol, I cracked the frame on the bottom bracket seat tube during a sprint. No crashes. Just could not handle the torque.

It is out for warranty now,

I have now moved all the parts on that bike to an EP. Which I got a great deal on due to the Veltec going away party :)

Here is a pic of it. The EP ride is so much better than the Idol, the idol was comfortable, but does it flex like crazy.

 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top