Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got your attn.
Ok all you morning peoples, I need your advices. I really want to train in the morning because of the advantages: revs up metabolism, lifts up your mood, evenings are too busy with the wife and kids etc...
I need some tips on waking up to train. I've succeeded a few times, but most of the time I wake up later and put it off until the evening, but a workout never happens.

How to you do it?

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
jlandry said:
Got your attn.
Ok all you morning peoples, I need your advices. I really want to train in the morning because of the advantages: revs up metabolism, lifts up your mood, evenings are too busy with the wife and kids etc...
I need some tips on waking up to train. I've succeeded a few times, but most of the time I wake up later and put it off until the evening, but a workout never happens.

How to you do it?
htfu
get a riding buddy

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Man up

jlandry said:
II really want to train in the morning because of the advantages: revs up metabolism, lifts up your mood, evenings are too busy with the wife and kids etc...

How to you do it?
Set your alarm. Get up and get going. There is no try; do or do not.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'll bite. for 3 years I worked in the city and to avoid the rush hour traffic I got up at 4:15am and arrived at the gym around 5:15. worked out. showered, etc and got to work by 7:30ish. then I changed jobs and have a 5 minute commute. so I figure no problem, I can get up later, and train in my basement. perfect, right?? I couldn't get my a** out of bed. there are lots of complicated reasons,etc. but my morning training went out the window. so, i moved my bikes to my office and I train every afternoon. this may not work for you exactly, but I tell the story because it can/does happen. just wanting to train is sometimes not enough. you have to have your life in balance as well. BTW, training in the early PM is awesome.

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Aside from bauerb, you guys are not very helpful. I wouldn't have asked the question if I wasn't serious. You guys will go out of your way to give dozens of posts on what shamois creme to slap on your ass but I ask a question and I get "htfu" "Man up"
"+1000" "Are you serious?" and "The magic workout faerie"
"Arrogant Roadie Pricks" indeed.
Flame away!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Easy for me - I keep re-reading the email that co-workers sent out about being able to keep up with me this year. (Not proven as of yet, btw) They always train together, I prefer to go it alone.
The smack talk I hear is all the motivation I need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It takes time and really wanting to do it. I started 4 years ago and would only get up 2 -3 times a week and go 8 -12 miles a morning. last summer i got out about 4 days a week and went about 22 every morning. I even went as far as getting lights for early fall. Once you start doing it it does get easier and you tend to head to bed earlier and then getting up is easier. I am not out riding yet in the morning but the alarm is starting to go off at around 6 AM to get used to getting up when its light out a little earlier. Good luck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the embalmer said:
It takes time and really wanting to do it. I started 4 years ago and would only get up 2 -3 times a week and go 8 -12 miles a morning. last summer i got out about 4 days a week and went about 22 every morning. I even went as far as getting lights for early fall. Once you start doing it it does get easier and you tend to head to bed earlier and then getting up is easier. I am not out riding yet in the morning but the alarm is starting to go off at around 6 AM to get used to getting up when its light out a little earlier. Good luck.
That does bring up something worth mentioning - my rides always start out pitch black. Having everything prepped to go the night before is key, as the last thing you want to do is get up in the morning and have to maintenance something.
My lights on the bike (and charged), my water bottle is in the fridge, tire pressure checked, clothes out the night before a ride. No delays. Once you get up, do whatever, then get dressed, go. (If you're not sure of the weather, get the necessary gear out as well. IE: coat, rain gear, booties, etc)

Don't waste time dinking around looking for excuses or your bound to find one.

(BTW: I'm really not an arrogant roadie prick.....that did hurt, though)

·
Registered
896 Posts
another thing is finding a workout scenario that works for you. when I changed jobs last fall I figured great, now I can ride outside everyday. You know what, I decided it was over rated. sure nothing beats a sunny fall day and a recovery ride, but I need certainty and structure in my training. training inside works for me, so I do it year-round, 60-75mins M-F. April through Sept I race club crits on Wed evening. I race every Saturday in season, sometimes 2x on Sat, or 1x Sat & Sunday. training inside weather and time are meaningless. I have a power equiped bike, I have an HRM, Sat radio and HD TV. When I train I get pretty anal about it. if I plan a ride outside and it looks like rain, I mighth stress all day. inside - no worries. this workout scheme should earn me my Cat 3 upgrade this year. I've got a few points already and its March!

·
Road & Trail Warrior
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SlowMo said:
That does bring up something worth mentioning - my rides always start out pitch black. Having everything prepped to go the night before is key, as the last thing you want to do is get up in the morning and have to maintenance something.
My lights on the bike (and charged), my water bottle is in the fridge, tire pressure checked, clothes out the night before a ride. No delays. Once you get up, do whatever, then get dressed, go. (If you're not sure of the weather, get the necessary gear out as well. IE: coat, rain gear, booties, etc)

Don't waste time dinking around looking for excuses or your bound to find one.

(BTW: I'm really not an arrogant roadie prick.....that did hurt, though)
Sorry SlowMo, that was directed at the "quoted" comments.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
jlandry said:
Got your attn.

How to you do it?
It's easy- you need to get enough sleep. If you're well rested you don't have trouble getting out of bed. So you need support from the family getting to bed early enough that you don't have to drag yourself out of bed. That's not easy, but when you frame the question the right way the answer is easier- it's not about getting up, it's about getting down. And you need to figure out just how much sleep you need to get out of bed in the morning. Then you need to program yourself to do it by going to bed at the same time every night, even if it means missing the 2:00AM 'King of the Hill' showing. When you crack it, everyone else will think you're some kind of super man with an iron will.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Get into the habit

I too used to try to work out in the evenings. Then came along a wife and later 2 kids and the evening thing just wasnt' working. I switched to the morning about 5 years ago and it has worked out great. I set my alarm for 5:30 AM and have gotten into the habit of waking up and doing strength training work outs (Soloflex combined with Total Gym) on Mon/Wed/Fri and 30 mins of HARD training rides on Tue/Thu. Lots of people feel 30 mins is not enough time in the saddle, but what I have found is that an intense 30 mins is plenty. I ride up a steep hill in the back of my neighborhood 6 times. I alternate between standing and sitting each climb. I am completely wiped out after this workout. Weekends I try to get in one long ride, usually in the morning before the wife and kids are up. If the weather is bad, I ride an excerise bike in the morning (but it is nowhere near the workout I get when riding my real bike outside). Here's the thing. You need to establish the habit of getting up early and working out. We all have established habits. But the habit doesn't know if it is good or bad. Some people get up and light up a cigarette first thing in the morning. That's a habit too but it just happens to be a bad one. However, the habit does not know this. Only we do. If you force yourself to work out in the morning for 2 straight weeks, you most likely will establish this as a habit. I actually wake up before my alarm since I've been doing it so long. Yes, on those cold mornings I would rather stay under the covers. But the way the workouts make me feel, I always get out of bed and do it. I've neve felt better. The hardest part is establishing this routine as a habit. No easy way around this. You just need to focus and do it. Sorry for the long winded answer. Best of luck

·
Registered
622 Posts
OH i'm sorry. How bout this: I get up home at 7 pm from work and do an hour work out, then I get up at 5 am to do my resistance training and see one of my racing buddies already at the gym doing power intervals on his trainer. The question is: Do you wanna win or not? It's called commitment. And it doesn't come from whining on this board.

If that makes me an arrogant roadie prick, then so be it.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
set the routine in full, that way, you have to get up with the alarm, or you'll kill the routine.

my early days are tuesday and thursday. the night before, I set up in my basement my banana and peanut butter jar, my supplements, my 2 balance bars and put my two V8/water bottles in the fridge. I set my home gym to the right weights for my first set. I even set up my timer for my pre-workout stretching. I make my kid's lunch to take to daycare. I set up my clothes for workout, and for work later, in my bedroom, so I'm not spending any time or making any more noise when I get up at 4:30. I fill 2 nalgene bottles, one to drink immediately, the other during my stretching. start weights a 6, for about 45 minutes. then back upstairs to prep kid for daycare, and either take him, or my wife does. then, back downstairs for the trainer, or soon, outside to ride 2 hours. then stow the gear, shower, eat, off to work etc.

my point is, that my key is to have every detail scripted, and leave myself as little to do in the morning as possible. If I miss a step, I pay for it in less ride time, instead of being late for work. but no matter what, that step can't be laying back down after turning off the alarm clock. If I do, even for a couple minutes, I scrap the whole workout, and punish myself the rest of the day for missing it. its only happened once.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,090 Posts
T-Doc said:
I get up at 5 am to do my resistance training and see one of my racing buddies already at the gym doing power intervals on his trainer.
Well obviously you don't want to win, or you'd be there at 4:00 AM :D

T-Doc said:
If that makes me an arrogant roadie prick, then so be it.
It would be better to just start screaming, "Suck it up! Suck it up you little..." add your choice of gender questioning beratement at the end.

Edit: Actually, we can record that, then create alarm clocks that start screaming like drill sergeants to get lazy athletes out of bed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts