Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the "do all" bike of ace Brit time-trialist Andy Wilkinson -

Andy Wilkinson's Dolan time trial bike | Latest News | Cycling Weekly

And before anyone laughs, realize that he was the best all-round time trialist in the UK in '99 (over 50, 100 miles and 12hr at probably 27mph average) and the current 12hr and 24 hr TT record holder (317 miles and 541 miles).

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quite a granny gear. I don't see how that front derailler could possibly work with those three chain rings. That big ring looks like a 55 or so.
It's a 56t ring. And I doubt that front der would have a long enough cage for that inner ring. Maybe he swaps the derailer for touring. If you Google Image him you can see him with camping gear on the back of a previous bike (that looked the same geometry) so maybe that's what the triple is for. He was in the full-tuck tri-geek position with panniers.

Here -

What a freak of nature.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Split way of seeing this bike.

It's nothing surprising really. Freds put aerobars on their hybrids. Only difference is Andy knows his geometry and had a more premium selection of parts.

But then it's also surprising that almost no one else thinks about this for an endurance bike. Always been a fan of V-brakes, always thought clip-ons could serve well on charity rides, same with a wide cassette. All just fundamental elements ideal for the purpose. Only difference is he's running more drop than most would.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Re: Freds with tri bars...I've seen Boonen, Cancellara and lots of others riding with their forearms resting on the tops of their bars, in the same position they would be in if they had tri bars.

It looks uncomfortable but could be worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.