Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about them, but I still need one feature clarified.
Do they have any adjustment that would allow me to pivot my left heel either inward or outward, as if you're partially unclipped?
I understand they have Q-factor adjustment, moving the entire pedal towards or away from the crank, and they have camber adjustment, mimicing the use of Lemond Lewedges for pronation or supination.
But what I need is an adjustment that will allow me to clip in and have rotate my left foot a few degrees clockwise, and be locked in there, as the resting/neutral position, not just under sprung tension.
Currently I use Time Equipe pedals with Carnac shoes. I have to file away at all sorts of parts in order to achieve this result.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There are a couple of things you could do...

If you're sure you want to be locked in , with ABSOLUTELY NO FLOAT you'll need to use a black LOOK Delta cleat with those pedals - black ones are designed for zero float, a red cleat will still allow a few degrees of float even when the pedal float adjustment is set to zero. Set the cleat position on your shoe to where you want it and set the pedal float adjustment (on the back) to zero. That said, I'd caution against black cleats and zero float unless you are certain you are absolutely spot-on with your foot position. Age, fatigue, past injuries, subtle variations in seating position, etc aren't accommodated too well when you lock out float, putting your knees, hips, ankles and even feet at risk of injury if they have nowhere to move when they want to and/or when you're tired.
I run CX6s with red cleats and zero float setting - gives my 44yo football knees a few degrees of leeway when they need it. I tried black cleats for a while but found I had knee pain from time to time (and broke a couple of cleats on the mash).
Further, most look cleats give you a pretty generous range of angle and position adjustment on the shoe, but if you're having trouble achieving the right cleat position on your carnacs you might need to consider another shoe...

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, more questions

Armchair Spaceman said:
If you're sure you want to be locked in , with ABSOLUTELY NO FLOAT you'll need to use a black LOOK Delta cleat with those pedals - black ones are designed for zero float, a red cleat will still allow a few degrees of float even when the pedal float adjustment is set to zero. Set the cleat position on your shoe to where you want it and set the pedal float adjustment (on the back) to zero. That said, I'd caution against black cleats and zero float unless you are certain you are absolutely spot-on with your foot position. Age, fatigue, past injuries, subtle variations in seating position, etc aren't accommodated too well when you lock out float, putting your knees, hips, ankles and even feet at risk of injury if they have nowhere to move when they want to and/or when you're tired.
I run CX6s with red cleats and zero float setting - gives my 44yo football knees a few degrees of leeway when they need it. I tried black cleats for a while but found I had knee pain from time to time (and broke a couple of cleats on the mash).
Further, most look cleats give you a pretty generous range of angle and position adjustment on the shoe, but if you're having trouble achieving the right cleat position on your carnacs you might need to consider another shoe...
Thanks. Time's two-cam cleats offer zero rotational adjustability apart from my homemade dremel tool shaving operation. Then, it's not float, it's locked into that rotated position once the cleats are secured.
If the red cleats have float, and the black cleats have a decent amount of leeway for rotational adjustment, I'd be willing to try a new pedal system with those two different options.
Now I understand Look has a new Keo pedal. Do these use a different system apart from the red and black cleat options?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Keo

Look Keos have a system of three different cleats: Red (9deg float), Grey (4.5deg float), or Black ("fixed"- zero degree float). If memory serves they're supplied with Grey as standard. Unlike other look pedals, Keos don't offer float adjustment, only release tension. They're generally lighter and have some 5-6mm less stack height than models that use the "classic" delta cleat. I tried Keos but I'm wide in the hips and my CX6s give me a wider Q while maintaining the cleat reasonably close to centred on the shoe. I like 'em. I have a few mates who run Keos and don't hear any complaints. As an alternative, Shimano SPD-SLs in their various models use two kinds of cleat - yellow for float, red for fixed (I've used these too, with yellow cleats, but prefer the CX6s). These have a pretty low stack height and the cleats are easier to walk in than the look cleats, if cafe strutting is your thing ;-). I believe there are other systems out there that can lock out float but I haven't tried them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.