Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am fairly new to road cycling and am looking to get more serious in terms of bike and equipment. I currently am riding a 2010 Specialized Allez Sport with the stock pedals with toe cages. I plan on probably getting a Tarmac at some point next year but am currently in the process of getting equipment that can be used when that time comes instead of buying things twice.

I am currently looking into clipless pedals and was thinking about the Look Keo 2 Max Carbon. I've looked online for reviews but haven't really found any - only for the regular Keo 2 Max. I've heard that the regular Keo 2 Max don't hang right and make it a hassle to clip in. I was wondering if that problem has since been fixed or isn't a problem with the Carbon model. I can get the carbon models with cleats for $145 and was wondering if that is a decent deal.

Thanks and I appreciate all the help and information I can get.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have those pedals and I like them a lot. They click in fairly easily and they are smooth coming out. I have had zero issues with them in the 7,000km I have done in them this year.

If I were to do it all over again I might consider speedplay, but I am certainly content with the pedals I currently have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did a lot of searching around about pedals, and I too was going to get the keo 2 max. Read more then once that they had issues with annoying squeaking. I went with Ultegra fearing the squeak. I have been pleased with them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Recently gone from keo Carbons to the Max2 Carbon, no issues with tight seals or anything else, click in is much more positive even on the lowest tension setting
Ride an forget :thumbsup:

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 on the Speedplays. I started off on keos and was fine with them until I started commuting. I got the Speedplay Zeroes because they are double sided and I didn't have to look down while feeling the pressure from the cars behind me.

The way starting goes for me is I get an initial push off from my clipped in foot, then I look to clip in the other foot as I am coasting. With keos, sometimes the pedal is spinning after the initial push, making it difficult to orient the pedal correctly so that I can clip in the second foot and go. This is not a concern at all with double sided pedals (crank brothers and speedplays).

All in all, I wish I were told about the speedplays sooner. They are simply easier to clip into. Also, the cleats are a bit more expensive for the speedplays ($40 as opposed to $20 for keos). However, you get so much more life out of the speedplay cleats that you come out ahead in that regard too.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have been using Ultegra 6700 pedals for a while, and the 4.5 degree Keo cleats actually feel like they have more rotational float than the Shimano 6 degree cleats. The Looks also feel smoother in the range of float than the Shimanos.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I do think the Looks have a little better float than the Shimanos but the Shimanos are better made. But I need the float so use Time's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts