Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of taking advantage of Looks' trade in program, and am wondering a couple things.

I am I right in that the Max is the replacement for the Sprint?
I've read some posts on squeaking pedals? Is this common for the Max?
Is the Max a better pedal, or should I try to find some Sprints?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Max

I have both Sprints and the Max. Neither pedal squeaks for me. I would get the max, as it has a metal plate where the cleat contacts it over the spindle. The sprint has a plastic plate, which will not wear as well.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
If you are considering the Sprint, the Classic is a better buy. It is a bit heavier and the spring release is not as tight. If you need the tighter springs than the Classic, the carbon CroMo can be had for about $120 and have better bearings, lower stack height and lighter weight.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
^ Already two good replies, but I'll add what I can...

I have both the Keo 2 and the Sprints. I like the 2's more. Bigger platform and the metal plate is also nice. Makes snapping in more secure and overall the pedal feels better because of its larger size.

The Sprints are fine too, not a huge performance decrease by any means, but if I had the choice between the two, I'd go with the 2's.

Squeaking. Yeah, I've had this on the Sprints, not really on the 2's. I used some wax on my cleats and the pedal (just rubbed it on the contact points) and it went away.

I briefly checked out the trade in program and it didn't seem worth it to me. If you look at UK dealers you can get the 2's for like $100-$120 when on sale, + discount, + good currency exchange rate. I think this is less than what you can buy them for with the trade in...but you also lose your set of pedals. I'd just keep or sell what I have and buy whichever ones I wanted. But, I could be wrong, as I did just do a quick look at it, out of curiosity.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have the Sprints, but one of them has started making noise, (not the squeak), and my mechanic says they have some "play" going on.
So that's why I am thinking about new ones. I'll probably go for the Max. Wish they came in red.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I was looking at that trade in program too. I've got some Sprints now...maybe around 3k on them...never had an issue. I have the spring tension on the lightest setting.

Wondering if it was worth it...maybe will make the switch to Speedplay instead.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the sprints on one bike and and Max2 on the other and don't really notice any difference between the two. The squeak gets worse if it's wet. I sprayed some teflon dry lube on the pedal spring and where it contacts the cleat and that mostly eliminated it.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have been using Sprints and like them.
Recently I bought some Keo Blades and ended up selling them.
For me the wider platform felt too restrictive and my knees didn't like it.
Also the Blades were extremely tight which prevented the float from working.
You can find Sprints still on Ebay. I guess Classics are nearly the same.

·
Bike Enthusiast
804 Posts
I have the Keo Max 2 and really like them. Occasionally get a squeak it seems after 25 consecutive miles or so but not too bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts