Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look Pedal Failure and Replacement

Yesterday 40 miles into my ride my right pedal, Look CX6 Carbon, started to feel odd. Dismounted, took a closer look, and both cleat and pedal visually appeared fine. When I clipped back in and applied power trying ride off, the pedal flew off the spindle and into the roadside ditch. I was able to retrieve the pedal and push it back onto the spindle/axle just securely enough to have a platform to rest my foot, and "limped" home.

Examining the pedal at home, the end of the spindle/axle had broken off. I'm now needing to buy a new set and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations, good or bad, on the Look Keo 2 Max? (Can't seem to get any results using the search function within this forum.)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm 100% satisfied with my Keo 2 max pedals, well maybe only 98%. 2% of me wishes that I chose black since my white ones look a mess. I also had the Keo classics and they had no issues.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm on my second set of Keo pedals. My first one lasted about a year. The bearings failed on the right pedal and unfortunately; they were past warranty and they are not serviceable. I now have the Keo Max Blades and have my fingers crossed that these ones last somewhat longer.
I'm so used to being able to service my pedals having been on Shimano Dura Ace for so long; I almost went back to them but my heart kept calling for Looks......what can I say?
I ride with all my other buddies and they have had better luck with their Looks. Several years with no problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea how the pedal managed to uncleat itself from the shoe?
It happened so fast I have no idea. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the entire pedal body had separated from the axle. I had about 6000 miles on these pedals so I guess they served me well but the failure could have resulted in a far worse outcome.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've had Keo 2 Max pedals a couple years now and I like them allot, they are holding up well. I've ridden in the wet several times but never submerged them. I will be needing a new set of cleats sometime this year so I bought them over the winter when they were on sale. My bike has white accents and these pedals really go well with the bike IMO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, appreciate the reply. Did the pedals have a Ti spindle?

/w
No not Ti, these were the middle of the line models, either steel or cro-mo. I really liked them, and they were great until the final sudden failure.

Thank you all for your inputs. I went ahead ordered a pair of Keo 2 Max pedals in white. If I get half the life out of them that I did from the CX6's I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I would have hunted out a good deal on the Look Carbon Blades. Personally, I think they are a substantial upgrade over the Keo Max. Also, I don't think the bearings in the Keo Max are as good as those used in the original Keo Carbons. Still good pedals, the Max's, but the Blades are fantastic.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
It happened so fast I have no idea. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the entire pedal body had separated from the axle. I had about 6000 miles on these pedals so I guess they served me well but the failure could have resulted in a far worse outcome.
When the pedal started it's outward movement off the spindle you may have pulled your foot inward causing the ankle to move in while the pedal bound on the spindle causing the cleat to disengage by twisting inward. Your foot disengaged and there goes the pedal.

Just a guess though.

·
Registered
21,724 Posts
Serving well

I had about 6000 miles on these pedals so I guess they served me well.
Really? If I had a set of pedals fail after 6K miles I would be seriously pi$$ed! My last set of pedals went well over 120,000 miles and the bearings were still just fine. People seem to have REALLY low expectations for how long equipment should last.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Kerry noted elsewhere that he averaged 40,000 miles on a set of cleats. He must turn perfect circles and practically never walk on the cleats. You'd have to run lights and stop signs, maybe he's a cop? :rolleyes: I can't wait to hear the rest of the story - obviously not a typical user.

·
Registered
21,724 Posts
Campy Record ProFit

Wow that lifespan is amazing. As asked in the previous post, I'm also curious what kind of pedals are those? Did you do any servicing/parts replacement?
I'm always amazed how people get such poor mileage out of their components and simultaneously balk at the price of something that will last.

My previous (and current) pedals are Campy Record ProFit. They are light, low stack height, anti-false release, durable, large contact area, low maintenance pedals with low cost cleats but everyone thinks they are too expensive.

I have completely disassembled the pedals a couple of times but the grease was still white so the non-contact seal design makes them virtually maintenance free. There are essentially no other moving parts than the bearings (3 sets) and the release/retention spring adjustment. There is nothing to maintain or replace.

My cleats last a long time because I wear cleat covers whenever I have to walk - it's more for my safety since those floors in convenience stores are pretty slippery with plastic cleats. I don't drag my foot when coming to a stop like a lot of people do, nor do I do some sort of push off with my foot to get started from a stop. With the design of the ProFit pedal there is essentially no wear on the cleat from the pedal itself (large chromed steel contact area so very smooth and non-abrasive to the plastic cleat. The contact between the release/retention spring and the cleat is metal to metal (there is a metal insert in the cleat that doesn't have to be replaced when the plastic wears out).

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have completely disassembled the pedals a couple of times but the grease was still white so the non-contact seal design makes them virtually maintenance free. There are essentially no other moving parts than the bearings (3 sets) and the release/retention spring adjustment. There is nothing to maintain or replace.
Now that's a great pedal! One that you can service!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look Pedal Failure and Replacement

Yesterday 40 miles into my ride my right pedal, Look CX6 Carbon, started to feel odd. Dismounted, took a closer look, and both cleat and pedal visually appeared fine. When I clipped back in and applied power trying ride off, the pedal flew off the spindle and into the roadside ditch. I was able to retrieve the pedal and push it back onto the spindle/axle just securely enough to have a platform to rest my foot, and "limped" home.

Examining the pedal at home, the end of the spindle/axle had broken off. I'm now needing to buy a new set and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations, good or bad, on the Look Keo 2 Max? (Can't seem to get any results using the search function within this forum.)
My LOOK Keo 2 Max pedal failed in precisely the same way you described, except I was arriving home, coming to a stop, unclipping. Surprisingly, the pedal body had unthreaded from the spindle and shot straight off the spindle. LOOK recalled pedals for spindle breakage: Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Look Cycle; Pedals Can Break Causing Cyclists to Fall

I've spoken to a number of LBS who are familiar with LOOK pedal failures, particularly the LOOK KEO. In my experience, LOOK does not document the reports it receives, nor does it care to investigate why/how the pedal body came off the spindle. My person recommendation is to try Shimano Ultegra 8000 or Dura Ace or any Shimano SPD-SL pedal. If you compare the axle --> pedal body interface, I think you will opine that Shimano is significantly higher quality compared to LOOK.

Excuse for bumping up the thread from the dark, but thought it may be helpful or save someone from a very bad accident. You may wish to inspect your LOOK pedal body and just make sure it is securely screwed onto the axle.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,763 Posts
Well, I'd postulate that with only 2 similar failures in 9 years, that would qualify it as a "once in a blue moon" type of event. Probably no more common than, say, breaking a crank, or a steerer.....

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
On the other hand, whenever I have had a problem with a Look pedal, their customer service has been exemplary.

I once had a retention issue with a model just below their legendary 386pp. They asked me to ship to them and they sent me a brand new set of said 386pp pedals. Then somehow their accounting got off and they sent yet another pair of the 386pp. Being honest and grateful to have received the first pedal to correct the retention problem, I offered to ship back the duplicate package.

Their response was, “keep them and enjoy”.

I know have 2 of my bicycles equipped with Look Keo2 Max pedals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts