Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I'd postulate that with only 2 similar failures in 9 years, that would qualify it as a "once in a blue moon" type of event. Probably no more common than, say, breaking a crank, or a steerer.....
Attached is a lawsuit filed against LOOK for injuries sustained after a LOOK KEO 2 MAX pedal axle broke: "Suddenly, the spindle on the right LOOK KEO 2 Max carbon pedal broke on a downward stroke." I found three other similar lawsuits in federal court - there are likely many more in state courts.

Hope everyone stays safe - everyone chooses their own risk factor.

Attachments

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,144 Posts
Well, I'd postulate that with only 2 similar failures in 9 years, that would qualify it as a "once in a blue moon" type of event. Probably no more common than, say, breaking a crank, or a steerer.....
I've actually known two people who have broken a crank arm. They were both FSA cranksets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What were the verdicts in these lawsuits?
See below and let me know if you want any of the PDFs. I only ran a search on federal lawsuits. Two of four of these cases were removed to federal from state, so my educated guess is there are more lawsuits out there that stayed in state court. The Mitchell case is compelling because some or many LOOK dealers (and other shops) are not aware of LOOK's 2008 product safety recall. Did the spindles really improve - given that Bower busted his KEO 2 MAX spindle during January 2012? I'm glad I was not injured when my KEO 2 MAX pedal body shot off the spindle. Hate to think what may have happened if I had been doing any kind of hammering or driving in car traffic (which I frequently do).

Bower v. LOOK Cycle and Chain Reaction Cycles - filed on July 15, 2014, settled on Jan 14, 2015, broken spindle on LOOK KEO 2 MAX on Jan. 12, 2012. "Massive" right shoulder rotator cuff tear and other injuries.

Mitchell v. LOOK Cycle - filed on May 26, 2016, settled around Aug. 3, 2017, broken pedal spindle on KEO Sprint. The rider was not aware of the product safety recall. Fractured hip and more.

Van Elnik v. LOOK Cycles - filed on Jan. 11, 2010, settled Sep. 15, 2010, broken pedal spindle on LOOK PP396, femur fracture and more injuries

Smith v. LOOK Cycle - this case involved LOOK Keo Classic pedal, he couldn't get his foot out of the pedal. Hip and knee injuries. Dismissed on procedural grounds.

·
Super Moderator
41,369 Posts
They were both forgotten for 9 years, until some troll exhumed them from the grave.....
And in those nine years, a solution has emerged that will revolutionize pedaling as we know it:

Pitbull Bike Pedal!!!

Bicycle Bicycle helmet Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

A new innovative product in the bicycle industry. The Best Road Bike Pedal in the World. We are not just saying it, that is a fact.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,144 Posts
And in those nine years, a solution has emerged that will revolutionize pedaling as we know it:

Pitbull Bike Pedal!!!

View attachment 482348

A new innovative product in the bicycle industry. The Best Road Bike Pedal in the World. We are not just saying it, that is a fact.
Not just the best...........the FASTEST!!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts