Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched away from Look pedals about three seasons ago because of the infernal squeeking, and went to speedplay zeros. Speedplays are good, but I liked the feel of the Look platform better. Keo owners, what's the feedback? any sqeeking, creaking, release issues? also, which model and why? I'm thinking the carbon, with cromo spindle. thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My Keo carbons have not squeked or creaked in the year I have had them, and the release seems just a bit more crisp than my previous Looks. I think clicking is is just a tad easier - though I haven't really noticed much difference that way. As for which model - they all seem about the same except for material type - and a small amount of weight.

·
RoadBikeReview Member
8 Posts
I rode Speedplay for four years prior to switching to Look Keo carbon (CrMo) pedals. I thought I might miss the fast, double sided entry and free float of the Speedplay, but the Look platform was worth the switch. I have not had any problems with squeaking or release.

·
Registered
151 Posts
KEO Carbon Ti

I switched to the KEO Carbon Ti from Speedplay X/2s that I've been riding for the past 11 years. I didn't notice any difference in terms of engaging the KEOs vs the dual-sided entry of the Speedplays. The biggest difference for me is getting used to less float. I'm using the grey cleats which have 4.5 degrees of float. After riding for a week now, I'm feeling much more comfortable with the KEOs and don't really notice the lack of rotation. Since the cleats, pedals and shoes are new, I haven't noticed any squeeking.

Maybe it's a combination of the cleat, pedal and shoe (Shimano SH-R151) but for some reason, I feel as though my feet are more solidly connected to the KEOs than my Speedplays. My old shoes were the Shimano SH-R214, so I think they are equally as stiff as the newer R151. Maybe it has to do with the greater amount of rotation of Speedplays but I really like the solid feel of the KEOs.

One thing for sure is that the R151 w/Look cleats is definitely lighter than the R214 w/Speedplay cleats. The pedals are about even because I had the stainless steel X/2 model and the KEOs are the Ti spindle model.

Not sure if I actually answered your question or not but I really like the KEOs.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
I have the CRO Mo carbons and the Classics on two different bikes. With about 2500 or so miles on the carbons they are running real fine. I feel more locked in than the older Looks. I'm using the grey cleats and the maximum clip-out tension. No squeeks, no maintenance other than the usual cleaning.

The Classics only have about 400 miles on them but they have been trouble free as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Always liked them...

I've gone from the original Look Sport pedals in the late '80's to the early '90's Carbo Pros to today's Keo Cr-Mos. All have been quite solid-feeling, and I never had any prolems with squeaking. At first, I had fixed positioning, but went to the red rotational cleats when they came out. I now have the Keo grey cleats and actually like the lesser amount of float. Release seems pretty straightforward, too.

I also think the shoes make a difference - I have an older pair of Shimano R-210's and a newer pair of R-215's. Both have similar carbon soles, but the straps on the 215's seem to hold my feet more snugly in the shoe and on the pedal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Love 'em

I used to have a pair of Look 247's. Always squeaking and creaking and drove me crazy. I tried everything I could think of to stop the noise, nothing worked. Switched to carbon Keo's (chromo spindle) about a year or so ago. Same Look platform and function, no squeaks or creaks, major weight savings. I literally forget about them. How much more can you ask for from a pedal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts