Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 weeks ago, I was on the way to work on my racing tri bike when the spindle of one of the Keo sprint broke !!! I am a strong rider (6'3/220 lbs) and I was standing up while going slow (7 mph) on a 53/15 gear... It was an massive crash in which I broke aerobars, base bar, shifters, brake levers. The most important fact on this crash t that I landed on the road on my face! The 2 big up front teeth where removed because they were son broken, my face is roadrashed from nose to lower jaw, but I am lucky and nothing is broken (except teeth)...
I was told that CrMo spindle has no weight limit while I'd better be very carefull with Titanium ones. My bike needs new pedals (and I need new teeth!) and I don't know what I should choose. The good 10 years old look pedal I have on my other bike are so stiff compare to those keo... Is the CrMo spindle supposed to be stiff or not? I can feel it bending when I am pushing hard. Any suggestion for a reliable pedal?
Thank for your help.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention that I wrote twice to Look from the contact form on the website 2 weeks ago. I send pictures of the crash, broken spindle and bloody face. There is still no answer!!!!
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Everyone knows that heavy people should only use pedals with cromo spindles. Ignoring that fact can lead to crashes. Did you put the pedals on yourself, or did some shop do it?

PS. If you have a 99 gram stem and sub 200 gram bars, you are also living in danger.
 

· Carbon Fiber = Explode!
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
Yeah. They're the same. 3 bearings.
 

· Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
I have 2 sets of the cro mo Keos. One pair of Sprints and one pair of Classics. I'm also a big guy and have had 0 problems with them in almost 2 years. I ride an average of 7500 miles per year in all weather.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Everyone knows that heavy people should only use pedals with cromo spindles. Ignoring that fact can lead to crashes. Did you put the pedals on yourself, or did some shop do it?

PS. If you have a 99 gram stem and sub 200 gram bars, you are also living in danger.
A friend of mine who is pushing 220 lbs and is VERY strong has been pushing Ti Speedplays for years...I always try to stay in front of him as it is a matter of "when" not "if".

I have too much a$$ and ego to use anything with a stated weight limit.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I've got two broaken Look Keo Carbon pedals.
The right one is broaken in April 07. The left one is broaken last sunday (my speed was aprox. 40 mph !!!.:mad2: I'm greatful that I've only "little" abrasion.
You can see the progressive facture of the broaken parts.
In my mind the fillet radius is to small - If there will be a bigger the impact value will be improved. Both pedals was manufactured in march 2005. My weight is 90kg (~ 200 lbs).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
unit said:
A friend of mine who is pushing 220 lbs and is VERY strong has been pushing Ti Speedplays for years...I always try to stay in front of him as it is a matter of "when" not "if".
Irrelevant.

This is a (possibly) design-related failure.

Just because they are both made of the same material does not make them equally failure-prone/weak.

Same reasoning has people generalizing about frames. Like how carbon frames can spontaneously splinter into 1,000,000 pieces and how aluminum frames can rattle your teeth free.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
dave2pvd said:
Irrelevant.

This is a (possibly) design-related failure.

Just because they are both made of the same material does not make them equally failure-prone/weak.

Same reasoning has people generalizing about frames. Like how carbon frames can spontaneously splinter into 1,000,000 pieces and how aluminum frames can rattle your teeth free.
How is it irrelevant? I was responding to the concept of a heavy rider using lightweight parts.

Perhaps this failure was related to design as you hypothesize, but I hardly generalized anything beyond suggesting that heavy riders should consider durability over lightweight.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
unit said:
How is it irrelevant? I was responding to the concept of a heavy rider using lightweight parts.

Perhaps this failure was related to design as you hypothesize, but I hardly generalized anything beyond suggesting that heavy riders should consider durability over lightweight.
You suggest that his pedals will break because they have titanium spindles. This is an ignorant statement. Titanium is extremely 'durable'. So is aluminum, Cro-moly, carbon fiber,.....

Non-lightweight, aka heavy parts break too.

My point is DESIGN is what counts.
 

· Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
13,390 Posts
Maybe it's a matter of design, maybe it's material. I don't know. I do know that Look puts suggested weight limits on their pedals. I gotta think there's some reason for that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
dave2pvd said:
You suggest that his pedals will break because they have titanium spindles. This is an ignorant statement. Titanium is extremely 'durable'. So is aluminum, Cro-moly, carbon fiber,.....

Non-lightweight, aka heavy parts break too.

My point is DESIGN is what counts.
Ignorant statement? Look at what I typed. Then look at what you said I suggest.

Ti Speedplays have a weight limit. I said, "A friend of mine who is pushing 220 lbs and is VERY strong has been pushing Ti Speedplays for years...I always try to stay in front of him as it is a matter of "when" not "if"."

This statement was in response to the previous comment initiating the discussion regarding heavy riders on lightweight parts.

You are correct that heavy parts break too, but you are also seeking an argument foolishly. Design *is* very important. If something is DESIGNED for a light rider and broken by a heavy rider, it is not a DESIGN problem.

When a pair of Ti Speedplays break under a 220 lb rider (as I implied will happen) will you be there to call me ignorant for pointing out that the rider exceeded the stated weight limit by almost 20%?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
unit said:
Ti Speedplays have a weight limit.
Fair enough, unit. You hadn't mentioned the weight limit on the Speedplays. Your post came across (to me) as a generalization about materials of construction, where you were overlooking the more important ingredient: design.

As an aside, I use Look Keo Sprints. I believe they are one of the best value pedals out there. And the cleats are inexpensive to replace, a bonus. Just about everyone else I race against is on Speedplay.
 

· Not Banned
Joined
·
49,249 Posts
maybe if most of you

would read the warranties you'd notice

most ti spindled parts (BBs, Pedals) have rider weight limits of around 180 lbs

heck the LBS even warned you

200 lbs and using ti? not a very wise decision

first examine $'s to grams, you spend 2x the money to save 1-2 oz

now examine the extra $150 you spent on an ounce or 2 in comparison to your body weight

I'm 230 , 220 in race form. I'd never dream of risking my health to save the equivalent of a pre race pee.
heavy powerful riders and Ti = broken part and crash

200 lb weight weenies are funny

CroMo is as stiff as Ti, it weighs more but doesn't have the shear properties ti does

some folks gotta learn the hard way I guess
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for all your replies... I definitely have to keep the cromo spindle... The failure was probably due to a material problem. I am not looking for light parts, but only reliable and durable.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
BMaier said:
I've got two broaken Look Keo Carbon pedals.
The right one is broaken in April 07. The left one is broaken last sunday (my speed was aprox. 40 mph !!!.:mad2: I'm greatful that I've only "little" abrasion.
You can see the progressive facture of the broaken parts.
In my mind the fillet radius is to small - If there will be a bigger the impact value will be improved. Both pedals was manufactured in march 2005. My weight is 90kg (~ 200 lbs).
Are these both titanium spindles?

Note that the Keo Carbons come in two versions: cromolly spindle, and ti spindle.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top