Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only used Shimano cleats, and I've never been totally satisfied with them. After a lot of reading/research it seems that the Look Keo and Speedplay Zeros are two very popular and solid pedals. The problem is I've never tried either system and I'm afraid to plunk down my money and be disappoimted.

Firstly I'd like to ask you opnion of these models...they both weigh about the same, cost about the same so I'm torn.

·
Registered
635 Posts
i was in the EXACT same position about a week ago.
one of my teammates (and others, on this forum, reviews, other places) told me that with the speedplays u either love them or you don't. that sort of scared me into getting the keo's.

my keo sprints came today, and i like em so far (spent some time on a trainer with them as its raining pretty heavily). easy to get in out, no problems yet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
CC09 said:
i was in the EXACT same position about a week ago.
one of my teammates (and others, on this forum, reviews, other places) told me that with the speedplays u either love them or you don't. that sort of scared me into getting the keo's.

my keo sprints came today, and i like em so far (spent some time on a trainer with them as its raining pretty heavily). easy to get in out, no problems yet.

Keo!

I sold my Speedplays on ebay, the Keos rock!

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Speedplays!

I had the same dilemma a while back, and went with speedplay. I love it.

* Can dial out the float for races, back in for training

* TWO SIDED ENTRY IS AWESOME.

* Cleats last a long time, not plastic.

(* Did the Keos fix the dreaded Look Squeak?)

* Lower stack height

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
namrufmot said:
Lol..thanks guys...see this is what I mean...2 votes for the Keo's and 2 votes for the Speedplay's.

I'll probably bug my LBS to see if I can try some Speedplays first

Keep the opinions coming!
I've got both. The correct choice depends on what is important to you. If safety/security is highest priority: speedplay, because it is virtually impossible to have unintended release.If you are a powerful pedal masher: keo, as the platform is bigger. Also, it may be important to note: speedplays' resale value is much better, as they inforce a "no discount" retail policy. this keeps e-bay prices strong.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks..That was a very insightful post.

I wouldn't consider myself a masher (6'1" 180lbs), and I've been using small SPD cleats with no problems for years. I even use dual-sided MTB pedals on my beater and love the dual-sided entry.

I guess the only thing that scares me about Speedplays is the total inability to walk on the cleats, and the constant complaints about the need for maintainence,

·
Registered
414 Posts
Zero's have 0 float...

namrufmot said:
I've only used Shimano cleats, and I've never been totally satisfied with them. After a lot of reading/research it seems that the Look Keo and Speedplay Zeros are two very popular and solid pedals. The problem is I've never tried either system and I'm afraid to plunk down my money and be disappoimted.

Firstly I'd like to ask you opnion of these models...they both weigh about the same, cost about the same so I'm torn.
Just something to keep in mind. I use Speedplays and love them. Double sided entry and tons of float makes my knees happy. Just something to keep in mind that Zero's are exactly that, 0 float, not for the weak knees. I ran Look's for a year and loved them, and my wife tried the Speedplays and didn't like them, so I tried them and once I got used to them, they've been great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just to help you decide: I have been pedaling on speedplay for a couple seasons. Great for eliminating my knee pain since there is a big float allowance, but I can't seem to fix the foot pain.

So I am looking at Look =)

You are right, it's expensive to experiment but perhaps money couldn't be better spent than on the 3 contact points with your bike.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Zero have ADJUSTABLE float.
0-15º of float.

I use Speedplay Zeros on the roadie and now using Keo for my Spin classess (used SPD-SL before.)

Both are nice and have thier advantages. My advice try the Speedplay Zero.. If you don't like how they fell or the cleats, then go for the Keo.

If you NEED walkable cleats without the speed of cover, then go Keo!
Bad knees? Zero or X series Speedplay pedals.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
yes you can!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Used Speedplay now use Keo

I used Speedplay pedals for 10+ years and last year switched to Keos and could not be happier. I bought the Speedplays because I thought that I needed the float and would still be using them if a neighbor had not let me try his Looks. This made me realize that the float was not that big a deal. I went from 30 degrees of float with the Speedplay X pedals to 4.5 degrees with the grey Keo cleats and as long as you have your cleats properly aligned a lot of float is not needed because your feet find their sweet spot and tend to stay there.

I also like the larger platform of the Look's and have no more foot pain like I would occasionally get after long rides with the Speedplays. I do miss the double sided entry for ease of entry but once I retrained myself to get into the Looks that is not a problem anymore.

Another advantage of the Looks is that the cleats are less likely to get jammed up with dirt or other crud (I once stepped on a tootsie roll with my speedplay cleats during a ride and spent about 30 minutes digging it out before I could get back on the bike) than the Speedplays. Look cleats are also about half the price of Speedplay cleats but last about half as long so cost for cleats is a wash. Yes, Look did fix the infamous squeak with these cleats.

I hope this helps from the perspective of somebody who has used both. I used the Speedplay X series not the Zeros but the similarities are there. You really can't go wrong with either and if you decided on the Keos look at www.11speed.com for the cheapest price that I have found

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.