Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i only just acquired a beautiful look KG171 frame for a song (well not a song, but i'm happy with the price) and it comes with stem and seatpost, and that's about it.
the frame is 1994 and i'm pretty much set on fitting it with mavic heliums, but i'm not so sure about the groupset.
Given the year of manufacture of the frame fitting it with era components would mean Dura/ace or ultegra 8 speed, but these are incredibly difficult to find, and when i do find something it seems terribly overpriced.
so i was thinking of building it up with modern components, which would give me the advantage of reliability, better replacement part availabity and better function, but isn't anywhere near as cool as riding around on the real thing.
so opinions, tips, help?
i'll be sure to post lotsa pics when the frame arrives!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Kaboom said:
Given the year of manufacture of the frame fitting it with era components would mean Dura/ace or ultegra 8 speed, but these are incredibly difficult to find, and when i do find something it seems terribly overpriced.
Shimano 600 STI 8-speed (pre-ultegra) shouldn't break the bank. I had that group on my '97 Lemond Zurich and it was fine. As a matter of fact I've still got the complete group stored in the basement.

singlecross

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Kaboom said:
stored as in stored for later use or would you consider selling it?

Sure, I'll consider selling... PM me and we can discuss.

singlecross

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Lexicon Devil
964 Posts
8-speed Shimano would be the best match, but new 10-speed wouldn't be a bad choice. I'd be inclined to use a more traditional crank, such as an older Dura-Ace/Ultegra 600 piece, but I don't know if the chainrings on those will work with a 10-speed chain.

Anyway, good buy on the Look. I'm kicking myself for not buying one of those two years ago, in my size and with 9-speed Ultegra, for a price of only $350. :(

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cuz that would be serious cash, which i don't really have atm.
Look frame + mavic grouppo + mavic heliums would be pretty damn schweet though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.