Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these on Ebay for about $1300.00 (from Ediscountbike.com). Seems like a good deal, but I've only read a few reviews on them.

Can anyone provide some feedback on the frame and/or the seller?

Additionally, can someone provide some information as to how Look frames fit? They seem to have a really long top tube. How would this frame compare to a Merckx titanium?

As usual, thank you for your input.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bought a KG461 from ediscountbike on ebay little over a month ago. Bike came in an unopened Look box, complete with full warranty and all. First class group highly recommend.

As far as the look fit goes you really need to study the geometry. They fit there bikes a little different than others, works out great but need to find and check all the measurements to see they fit you.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to ride a KG281: at the time, it was the best bike I had yet owned. My teammate rides a 381SL and thinks the world of it: the only reason he would sell it is to get a new 585 (he would rather pay full retail for it than buy a Felt F1C for $1200 on the team special, if that tells you anything). My neighbor used to manage a shop that sold both Look and Colango (he moved on 2 years ago), and said the 481SL was every bit as good as the C40. If Trialtir hadn't given him a C40 silly-cheap, he would have gladly purchased the 481SL. So yeah, it is a well-regarded bike!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I too bought a KG461 from ediscountbike recently. I had been eyeing the KG481SL and KG461 they've been offering for some time. I emailed them about the bikes' origin. Ediscountbike replied that they were purchased from Veltecsports (the US distributor).

My KG461 arrived new, with warranty card, in the original Look box that had been previously addressed to Veltec.

If you want the 481 now and they have your size, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better buy.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
foggypeake said:
I've seen these on Ebay for about $1300.00 (from Ediscountbike.com). Seems like a good deal, but I've only read a few reviews on them.

Can anyone provide some feedback on the frame and/or the seller?

Additionally, can someone provide some information as to how Look frames fit? They seem to have a really long top tube. How would this frame compare to a Merckx titanium?

As usual, thank you for your input.
I just bought a used KG271 from fellow RBR'r and per the following specs the geometry varies pretty widely by size. I don't know if the same holds true for later models, but I would certainly consider the possibility. By the way, I love the ride on mine, but I would probably want something a bit stiffer if I rode a lot of hilly terrain.

http://www.adventuresports.com/demo/look/f-kg271.htm

http://www.adventuresports.com/demo/look/f-kg271-281_geometry.htm

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
NOT long TTs...

I assume that you didn't notice the slack 72.5 degree seat tube angle on the 481. This can folls you into thinking that the TT is long, when it is not.

For example, in the 51cm size, the TT length is 54cm, but compared to a 51cm KG461, whihc has a 74.5 degree STA and a 52.5cm TT, the reach is actually about 2mm shorter, with the saddle in the same position relative to the BB. This makes the TT length shorter than many other brands. Roughly, each degree less STA will decrease the reach by 1cm. The exact amount depends on the frame size.

With the slack STA, you may find that you need a straight-up seatpost rather than a setback type, unless you normally have the saddle far back. The seatpost is an odd-ball 25mm size, which limits your choices. I'm using a Thomson on my 381 (same geometry as the 481).

Also note that the frame size is measured in the traditional center to center manner, so a 51cm would be more like a 53cm meaured center to top. When comparing the head tube length, add 15mm for the headset.

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C-40 said:
Roughly, each degree less STA will decrease the reach by 1cm. The exact amount depends on the frame size.QUOTE]

Alright, now I am really confused. I thought that it was the other way around; that is to say, that the slacker the seat tube angle, the farther the seat is behind the bottom bracket, which would mean a longer effective top tube.

From what I have found, my 50cm Merckx Majestic has a seat tube angle of 73.44 degrees, with a saddle setback of 14cm. A 49cm Look KG 461 Sl has a seat tube angle of 72.5 degrees with a saddle setback of 14.7 cm. So, in essence, the Look would have a shorter overall height but a longer effective top tube.

Or am I really off?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
wrong...

A valid comparison of two frames is with the saddle in the same position relative to the BB. With a 72.5 degree STA, you must move the saddle further forward. In doing this, the reach becomes shorter, not longer. This is a common mistake.

Another mistake is comparing the setback of frames that are not the same size. In this case, the error isn't large but the setback of a LOOK 481 (not 461) with a 72.5 degree STA, measured at the same 50cm height would be 15.0cm, exactly 1cm more than the Merckx. Subtract 1cm from the LOOK's TT when comparing the reach.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.