Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 old LOOK frames and this KG76 was in very rough condition..

Instead of letting in hang in the attic never to be used again, I'm converting it to a carbon fixie....

Being the obsessive type that I am, I'm doing a total conversion...

1. Remove the derailleur hanger
2. Remover the down tube bosses- this was easier than I thought...I drilled out a small screw and both aluminum boss covers came right off. All that was left was a small hole that was easily filled with Bondo
3. Fill the internal rear brake cable guide- again filled with Bondo
4. Fill in rear brake hole- Bondo comes to the rescue again

I'm going to wet sand the entire frame and mask off some details so the carbon will show after I paint the frame....

I'll still deciding on what color and what components....I test fit some wheels and there is plenty of room for 28c tires...

It sure is light.......

Work in progress updates will be forthcoming

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dave Hickey said:
I have 3 old LOOK frames and this KG76 was in very rough condition..

Instead of letting in hang in the attic never to be used again, I'm converting it to a carbon fixie....

Being the obsessive type that I am, I'm doing a total conversion...

1. Remove the derailleur hanger
2. Remover the down tube bosses- this was easier than I thought...I drilled out a small screw and both aluminum boss covers came right off. All that was left was a small hole that was easily filled with Bondo
3. Fill the internal rear brake cable guide- again filled with Bondo
4. Fill in rear brake hole- Bondo comes to the rescue again

I'm going to wet sand the entire frame and mask off some details so the carbon will show after I paint the frame....

I'll still deciding on what color and what components....I test fit some wheels and there is plenty of room for 28c tires...

It sure is light.......

Work in progress updates will be forthcoming

a few more pics

·
hold my beer n watch this
1,756 Posts
You would consider something other than red? or white? I'm shocked...

Neon Pink or Safety yellow/green then we can see you coming and get out of the way before the carbon frame asplodes!

Flyn G

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
won't 'splode. got a kg96 as a fixie 7 years ago for $262.50 including shipping. a hairline crack at the top of the seat tube made it impossible to tighten the post until i stuck it there for good with serious epoxy. It survived 4 years like that as a commuter, a year as the favorite ride on weekly "drunk races around the quad" my son's freshman year, a year and a half as a rain only bike, and a few months under my younger son (235 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal according to him). the water bottle bosses and the similar thing under the bottom bracket all got too loose to tighten and too tight to get out so i scrapped it.

it was a nice ride. good luck with your project and hope you have as much fun with yers as i had with mine.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I painted the frame last night....

I'm going with reversed graphics...I applied a LOOK logo over the nude carbon and painted the frame.....Hopefully, when I remove the LOOK lettering tonight, I'll have a nice carbon LOOK logo......

Pics only if it turned out OK:D
Chicken!

Actually, this makes me wish I hadn't sold my old Centurion aluminum lugged carbon frame. That sucker was very light and would have made an interesting fixie.:(

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Richard said:
Chicken!

Actually, this makes me wish I hadn't sold my old Centurion aluminum lugged carbon frame. That sucker was very light and would have made an interesting fixie.:(

I've been used to picking up steel frame and forks the last few years, I lifted up the bare LOOK frame last night and thought WOW....this could be fun....

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update...frame painted

The frame is painted...It turned out very nice for a rattlecan paint job

I wet sanded the bare frame...

I then masked off the stripes in the seat tube.

I had a set of LOOK transfers that I applied the bare carbon.

I painted the frame and fork with 3 coats of Duplicolor pure white paint.. After letting it dry for 4 days, I carefully removed the LOOK logs and tape in the seat tube.

The LOOK transfers left a lot of adhesive residue....After liberal application of WD-40, I finally got it off....

I rubbed down the entire frame to get off any left over WD40.

Finally, I clearcoated the frame with Duplicolor clear,,,,

I'm going to let it sit for a week and polish the frame

Here are some pics

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow, I'd love to ride that. Personally I would have shown just a little bit more carbon, but still a great job. I'll be doing something similar this winter with my bike, but exposed steel doesn't look quite as nice as CF.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,287 Posts
Lookin' good!

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Looks great Dave, I haven't been over here in the fixie forum for a while. I need to get out of the lounge more often. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Excellent job! The black and white paint scheme really rock together. I love the way the carbon shows thru the paint. I wish more people would consider this type of paint job especially when they build/paint a titanium frame. Hope you get some Indian Summer days your way. It's going to continue to be in the high 80's mid 90's in sunny So Cal. Let's hear it for rattle can paint and lot's of sanding.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts