Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
century rider
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking to replace my CAAD5 frameset. I'm looking at a carbon frame and saw a Look KX light. I beleive kelme used them in the 2003 season. its a slightly used frame at the LBS and asking around 1200usd. Anybody have experience with this particular frame? what are its positives and negatives? this will be my backup bike. my main ride is ti/carb frame. I can't stand the harshness when I move to my CAAD5 thats why I'm looking to replace it.
Thanks!

P.S. my second frame choice is italian steel but can't anything around here.(philippines)

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
I have a 2004 that I'm very happy with. Coupla thoughts about it, I'll try to leave out the "stiff yet compliant, etc." type balony:

1) "Light" in the name is a bit of a misnomer as the KX light is not particularly light
2) Don't be fooled by the oversized looking tubing, the KX light is not overly stiff. I really like the way the bike rides. This is why I bought it.
3) The aesthetics of the KX light are not pleasing to everyone. I like the way the diamond shaped tubes look.
4) Traditional Look geometry with the slack seat tube angle makes fitting slightly different than with other bikes. Take a look at C-40s posts about STA and overall reach/toptube length.

$1200 is more than I'd expect to get for my 2004 (bought early 2005) should I choose to sell it right now. I have roughly 6000 miles on it and would expect it to go in the $600-700 range on ebay. I don't know whether this is a fair price in the Philipines.

This is the only picture I have of the bike on this computer.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
battaglin said:
Hi, I'm looking to replace my CAAD5 frameset. I'm looking at a carbon frame and saw a Look KX light. I beleive kelme used them in the 2003 season. its a slightly used frame at the LBS and asking around 1200usd. Anybody have experience with this particular frame? what are its positives and negatives? this will be my backup bike. my main ride is ti/carb frame. I can't stand the harshness when I move to my CAAD5 thats why I'm looking to replace it.
Thanks!

P.S. my second frame choice is italian steel but can't anything around here.(philippines)
Never rode one but I do know the KX frame was designed to increase stiffness.

·
century rider
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice bike..

rocketdog, thats the same color I'm looking at. though I think the stays are white too. could they be the 2003 model? yes, I do think that 1200usd is kinda steep considering that new giant carbons are a couple hundred cheaper here. just that Look frames are not that common around here and I really like the unusual tube shapes. yeah I think light is a misnomer for this frame w/c I found out to weigh close to 1600gms. thanks, I'm still gonna be looking around.

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
Yes, there was an all white version. I've never actually seen one in person. You can tell the year by the fork. 03s had an HSC 3, 04s had the HSC 4 SL, 05s had the HSC 5 (white) etc. I believe that the 02s were simply KX and not KX light, and they added the light when they switched to the HM carbon.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I think $1200 is a bit steep for that frame. Last fall I was looking for a project to waste some time and KX frames were quite common on eBay in the $999 range. From an eBay store no less.

Searched just now and the results bear out the price: http://search.ebay.com/look-KX-light_W0QQfromZR40

They're being offered by a seller named ediscountbike whom I've used a couple of times. Reliable on shipping and service. An advanced search of completed items only shows that they're going unpurchased at $900 to $1018.

·
EuroCrash
478 Posts
As said, too expensive. I wouldn't pay much more than $800 for a new one, it's an old model even if the model year say 2004, which is the last year they build them (I think). Comparatively I payed $1400 for a demo 486 2years ago.

·
Registered
87 Posts
KX light is definitely a stiffer frame, the stiffest from Look at that time, they created this for a couple of tier 2 teams in europe who wanted stiff and fast race bikes, this bike is absolutely perfect for what it is designed for going hard and fast but if you want a more comfortable ride and don't race, try another Look like the 461, 451 or 555's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.