Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new frame or bike for this year. I want to give the full carbon bike a try. I am torn between the Look KG 486 or the Orca. How about some pro's & cons from you PROS? There is a nice Look on the classifieds I am very interested in, $1750. Too much ??? I am not very familliar with the Look stuff.

Thanks Gents !!!! HOOV

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look 486 vs. Orbea Orca

The two best Frames Look Makes are the 486 (Excelente For Sprinters and out of the Saddle Climbing) But a Bit heavy, very Strong, and there New Flagshipthe 585, which everybody says marvels of. Any of these two bikes under 2,200 Dlls. is a good Deal. Orbea Orca, I haven´t tried, but I woldn´t even comapre French vs. Spanish Craftsmanship on Frames (French are superior).And in my opinión, Look makes not only the best Carbon Frames, but the best Road Frames period.I hope this may help you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Orca will be lighter, but probably not as stiff which may not matter depending on how big and or powerfull you are. I like my Orca, but I am 5'6" and 140lb riding a 51cm so your results may vary.
As far as french vs spanish craftmanship here that is a load of b.s. The Look is made in North Africa and the Orbea in Taiwan, neither is made in France or Spain so it really doesnt matter.

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Fits are VERY different

hoovypedals said:
I am in the market for a new frame or bike for this year. I want to give the full carbon bike a try. I am torn between the Look KG 486 or the Orca. How about some pro's & cons from you PROS? There is a nice Look on the classifieds I am very interested in, $1750. Too much ??? I am not very familliar with the Look stuff.

Thanks Gents !!!! HOOV
I went through this same dilema during the summer. I bought the LOOK 555 since it was an identical fit to my previous LOOK (crashed). The Orbea has a LOOOONG head tube and compact geometry making the positioning very akward for me. I love the 555; even stiffer than the 461 and oh so responsive! Rides like it's on rails! And, only $1700 if you shop carefully.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Look will be much stiffer. I have a friend that has the Orbea and you can actually see the frame give when he is really digging in on climbs. Also, the Orbea has a low bottom bracket so if you are going to be leaning into tight corners your pedals will hit the pavement more often.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!

Thanks guys, I was wondering if this post was ever going to get a reply.
I knew the frames were probally not made in house.
Wombat, I am almost the smae size as you and weight. I am 5'8" and 140 also. I am currently ridding a 04 Six13 and love it but just cant resist the carbon hype. All the guys at the cdale shop where I visit have went to the Orbea ( opal & Orca). Glad to hear the different opinions. I have heard very little about the Look frames. Anybody know the diffeneces in the weights of the 51 size range? I am curious???
HOOV

·
Registered
19 Posts
hoovypedals said:
Thanks guys, I was wondering if this post was ever going to get a reply.
I knew the frames were probally not made in house.
Wombat, I am almost the smae size as you and weight. I am 5'8" and 140 also. I am currently ridding a 04 Six13 and love it but just cant resist the carbon hype. All the guys at the cdale shop where I visit have went to the Orbea ( opal & Orca). Glad to hear the different opinions. I have heard very little about the Look frames. Anybody know the diffeneces in the weights of the 51 size range? I am curious???
HOOV
I think the Look is about 3.1lb for the frame versus 2.4 for the Orca.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Look and Time, maybe???

salvadorvela said:
The two best Frames Look Makes are the 486 (Excelente For Sprinters and out of the Saddle Climbing) But a Bit heavy, very Strong, and there New Flagshipthe 585, which everybody says marvels of. Any of these two bikes under 2,200 Dlls. is a good Deal. Orbea Orca, I haven´t tried, but I woldn´t even comapre French vs. Spanish Craftsmanship on Frames (French are superior).And in my opinión, Look makes not only the best Carbon Frames, but the best Road Frames period.I hope this may help you.

Time is made in France....not elsewhere and claiming to be made in France.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know much about the Look frames, but do they have simalar geometry? The look 486 looks more like a sprinting bike, and the Orbea Orca is by far a climbing frame, thats what Orbea does :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
how did you narrow to these 2 brands

just curious. there are lots of options in carbon and am more curious as to what you will use it for--are you spending near 2k on a frame you may crash or your sunday long ride, etc?

i had and loved a calfee tetra pro and now ride a crumpton--even better ride.
anyway good luck with your decision. of the bikes i've looked at in shops i'd say i liked the time vx special pro more than trek, specialized, giant, look.
i think cannondale makes carbon now but have not seen it in person.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.