Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on new Look A5.1 pedals and the "instruction" pamphlet is confusing to put it politely. I wanted to set the pedals on the minimum setting until I had a few rides and got comfortable, but the pamphlet instructions are not helpful. It indicates a + on the pedal is for less tension and seems to show the right and left pedals have the opposite direction for a +.
Here's the real issue, my pedals have numbers 12 at one end of the scale and 18 at the other for the tension ( not the float) adjustment. What is going on here? I turned this adjustment w an allen key so that I can kick out easily, but I am not certain if there is something else I need to consider.
Any help is appreciated.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Look pamphlet is usually backwards. Follow the directions painted on the pedal. Click in a few times, you will quickly figure out whether it is tighter or more loose.

Sounds like you have solved all of the problems. 12-18 is a range of release tensions, like on ski bindings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spunout said:
Look pamphlet is usually backwards. Follow the directions painted on the pedal. Click in a few times, you will quickly figure out whether it is tighter or more loose.

Sounds like you have solved all of the problems. 12-18 is a range of release tensions, like on ski bindings.

Yes, I think I figured it out, but 1 question remains. The adjustment screw does not have a stop in either direction - it will go all the way around and that seems counter intuitive to me. Does that make sense, or am I making more of this than I should. Thx

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Adjustment screw for the release tension?

bousson said:
Yes, I think I figured it out, but 1 question remains. The adjustment screw does not have a stop in either direction - it will go all the way around and that seems counter intuitive to me. Does that make sense, or am I making more of this than I should. Thx
The release tension screw adjusts preload on the cam's spring system. This will go around and around. Did you screw this all of the way out? It probably has a stop, or runs out of threads (at minimum release tension).

The float knob on the back of the pedal (the big plastic one) also goes around and around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts