Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was doing a 40 miler today, just got to the top of the first climb to the look out point and was taking a quick break, my bike was resting against a wall near me, thease 3 old guys on rented mountain bikes show up to take a breather also, as they were setting off again one of them lost control mounting his bike and crunched my bike straight into the wall scratching the top tube and fork,

the other 2 guys were helping him up when i found the damage and i was like, look what you did!!! he stared back at me blankly, then i yelled at him look what you did!!!, this isnt some rental bike its mine!!! he just said sorry i didnt mean it, damn i was so mad i wanted to kill him,

i carried on the rest of my ride but man i wasnt in the mood for it, the guys were german tourists, as far as i can tell the damage is superficial, the top coat and paint is gone in a few places, even if i could get it repaired i dont know of a place around here that could do it, its a depressing day for me i tell you:(

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wouldnt mind so much if i did it, i really take care of my stuff but whats the point if some careless twit comes along to mess it up

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's paint.

Sorry for the lack of sympathy. It's a bike. Bikes sometimes (always) get scratched. Ride it.

As for "repair," you're talking about some touch-up paint. Go to an auto-parts store, get some stuff that matches, and fix it.

Go for another ride. It's a good remedy for depression.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id rather just cover it with insulating tape than try and paint it, once the clear coat is gone anything you try and do just makes it look worse in my opinion, the bike is a month old, didnt even a pebble mark on it.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Scratches and chips on the bike builds character. Seriously.

I understand if it's lookin' new you wanna keep it that way, but as Forest Gump said... "___ happens."

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
darkest_fugue said:
id rather just cover it with insulating tape than try and paint it, once the clear coat is gone anything you try and do just makes it look worse in my opinion, the bike is a month old, didnt even a pebble mark on it.
Sorry, but I would more than a little peeved myself it a knucklehead nail my bike. As for fixing the clear coat, clear nail polish works great. I think the stuff is strong the automotive clear coat.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
that's Fed up, no doubt... but that what happens when you tangle w/ the flomax crowd

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my mountain bikes have cuts all over the paint, i dont mind that the offroads here are vicious plus their aluminium, i dont mind missing paint off alloy but this was my first carbon bike, i know a few scratches adds character but i havent seen a carbon road bike scratched up before, not around here anyway, plus they arent scratches, more like gouges, and to top it off, i didnt do it!!!!!!! sorry for the negativity but im angry i cant help it, it only happened a few hours ago and im still in the moment

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Oh, that sucks. A drunk guy turned the bars on my bike and it went scratching down a light pole this weekend. The guy was unlocking his mountain bike at a bar and, I have to admit, It was 100% my fault. The guy was loaded and apologetic and offered me a beer, but I didn't need another, and it was just going to make me feel worse.

If you get some very fine sandpaper and repaint and clear coat as another poster suggested, I don't thing you'll notice the top tube. The fork doesn't look so hot though.

Sucks, but better than going down. I used to not feel that way, but broken bones or even road rash sucks, not to mention the head. Look at the poor Richardson lady....

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I hate when that happens but it was bound too sooner or later. Just happened sooner in your case. Now you've gotten it over with and can enjoy life with your bike not worrying about when it will happen. It can be touched up to look better than it does. It won't look new but it will look better.

edit: Just be happy to know that by riding your bike you're helping insure you'll be able to get old, rent a bike and scratch some young dudes pride and joy someday.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Go to an auto parts store or Chrysler dealer and pick up a bottle of silver metallic paint made for Chrysler vehicles. You will need more than one coat, but you can patch it up. The stuff I use is Dupli-Color Scratch Fix 2 in 1 bright silver met PS2 chrysler NG CC 410. Easy to use, brush is attached to bottle cap. Best stuff I've found.

Too bad. I would have been very upset myself.

·
COMER
604 Posts
In motocross when we get our new helmets with nice paint jobs we scratch it on the sidewalk so hopefully it doesn't get scratched while on our head, lol usually doesn't work well, damn superstitions.

It's apparent the guy meant no malice and it was an accident, but really it is only a bike. They are meant to ride, get dirty and scratched, chipped and ridden again. I'm sure the guy was embarrassed and humiliated.

Be thankful you weren't riding when the scratch occurred, so I guess you can consider yourself quite fortunate, now go out and buy a lottery ticket.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Scratches are no big deal when you put them there yourself, but man does it suck when someone else scratches yer bike.

sorry dude.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
One of the primary reasons I ride ti frames.

I'd be putting those scratches on a carbon frame by myself.

Sorry that happened to you.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
concern

darkest_fugue said:
i was doing a 40 miler today, just got to the top of the first climb to the look out point and was taking a quick break, my bike was resting against a wall near me, thease 3 old guys on rented mountain bikes show up to take a breather also, as they were setting off again one of them lost control mounting his bike and crunched my bike straight into the wall scratching the top tube and fork,

the other 2 guys were helping him up when i found the damage and i was like, look what you did!!! he stared back at me blankly, then i yelled at him look what you did!!!, this isnt some rental bike its mine!!! he just said sorry i didnt mean it, damn i was so mad i wanted to kill him,

i carried on the rest of my ride but man i wasnt in the mood for it, the guys were german tourists, as far as i can tell the damage is superficial, the top coat and paint is gone in a few places, even if i could get it repaired i dont know of a place around here that could do it, its a depressing day for me i tell you:(

Was the "old" guy ok?
Now you've got motivation to keep riding past lookout point without stopping. The downhill is where you can take the breather.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the 3 guys were on rented bikes, i actually went down to their rental station and told them what happened, their going to find out who he is because they said if he brought one of their bikes back like that then he would have to pay for it,

i also went to a guy who fixes dents and resprays cars but he wont touch it, thease guys seem to have no problem fixing up any kind of external damage to a car but bring a bike in and they send you away like you have the plague, if hes not going to touch it im certainly not going to, ill just cut out a design on a piece of insultating tape stick it over the damage and try and forget about it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Did you stop the think that these "old German guys" were actually "old Nazi guys", on the run from justice. Maybe they "attacked" your bike because it looked like an easy mark.
I'm sure that you would have been justified in throwing, not only their bikes, but, in fact, these "old nazis" down the mountain. I'm sure that you would have felt better then.

"damn i was so mad i wanted to kill him"

You should have.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
not sure why everyone is so dismissive of your damage - it someone banged into your car in a parking lot and scratched it they'd be liable for it. Follow up with the rental company - maybe they paid a security deposit on the bikes that would go to you etc.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts