Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ron Ruff is currently lacing up a Powertap Pro+ hub to my Easton EC90SL carbon clincher. Will start training with power in a few weeks when my wheel shows up.

But I come home today and this was on my front porch :)

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
Sweet.

I've been enjoying my Quarq + Garmin 500 for a few weeks now. Every time I view a workout on WKO I learn something new with that software - it's amazing. What are you using?

Good luck, and enjoy!

·
Lost in the Black Hills
188 Posts
it's almost like xmas!! I think sometimes I just like to mail order stuff so I can open a present that mysteriously ends up on my porch :D

I have not been keeping tabs, but what is going on with that pedal spindle power set-up...is it out yet? I might finally build up my Geneo this winter and need to decide on power meter or not.

thanks

mx

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
MarshallH1987 said:
so you were uploading photos instead of installing it? i know when i get a new toy i have to install and play with it before i can do ANYTHING else.
Especially when the wheel's not there...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats. The PT, plus Allen and Coggan's book is a great combo. Adding WKO+ will make it the triple threat.

Enjoy.

·
a$$hole
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. It's nice to be talking to guys that are using power. The conversation with guys like you will definitely help me getting into the power game.

mx_599 said:
... what is going on with that pedal spindle power set-up...is it out yet? I might finally build up my Geneo this winter and need to decide on power meter or not.
I do not believe the Vector is out yet. Design issues I think? I haven't been keeping up with it. I do know that Polar and LOOK have teamed up and are supposed to be releasing a LOOK pedal system that is supposed to be super nice. It is supposed to be released Spring 2011.

SRM or Quarq, they were a little to costly for me and b/c I switch between standard and compact cranks depending on where I am (in NC you can go from flatland/beach to super mountains in 5 hours) and because sometimes I switch from 172.5 to 170mm cranks arms (I prefer shorter arms in crits), the SRM and Quarq were not options for me.

The Powertap was the best option for ME. I had a nice set of Easton EC90 SL carbon clinchers, so Ron Ruff is lacing up the Powertap Pro+ to the rear Easton Carbon clincher, which will give me a wheel that is trainable AND raceable, and I can switch the wheel between bikes. I needed an option that would allow fast switching between bikes, on a frequent basis.

petalpower said:
Sweet.

I've been enjoying my Quarq + Garmin 500 for a few weeks now. Every time I view a workout on WKO I learn something new with that software - it's amazing. What are you using?
Borti said:
Congrats. The PT, plus Allen and Coggan's book is a great combo. Adding WKO+ will make it the triple threat.

Enjoy.
I'll be happy when I've got the money for WKO+. I'm currently having to recoup all the money I've spent on the power setup. Coggan also suggests just riding with power and getting used to seeing the numbers versus perceived exertion so that basically you can get an idea of what the numbers feel like, to develop reference points so to speak, to give the numbers meaning. If someone says 250 watts to me, it's just a number. I have absolutely no clue how it fits in to perceived exertion, energy expenditure, speed, etc.

I'll be spending a few weeks just getting used to seeing the numbers. I'll do my usual rides, a mix of solo with hard efforts, intervals that have been based on perceived exertion, Thursday night championships which is basically 30 minute warm up with a couple of very brief (20 seconds or so) hard efforts and then balls to the wall for 50 minutes. I think this will be the ride that will really help me start connecting power/numbers/perceived exertion.

Initially I'll be using Golden Cheetah and maybe the newest version of PowerAgent. But right now I'm liking Golden Cheetah's interface.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
Overrated because you can find equivalent and even better software with SportTracks for cheaper
Non-responsive. Where was WKO+ rated higher than the equivalent software you can find for cheaper?

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
asgelle said:
Non-responsive. Where was WKO+ rated higher than the equivalent software you can find for cheaper?
I always hear of WKO+ as being the best training software available and I don't agree. Comments such as "Adding WKO+ will make it the triple threat." are comon and lead to believe people haven't explored other alternatives which I believe are superior.

No, there is no objective rating about training software, is that what you want to hear? :mad2: It's all an opinion you don't have to be a douche about it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
No, there is no objective rating about training software, is that what you want to hear? :mad2: It's all an opinion you don't have to be a douche about it.
And again you fail to answer. It's one thing is a coach with over 10 years experience in power analysis with dozens of clients thinks the software is over rated. It's quite another if a Cat 5 who's been riding for less than a year and just opened the trial version thinks so. All opinions are not equal. So the who and why really do matter.

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
No... Everybody's opinion is as valuable. They might not look for the same things in a software. Some might find WKO overwhelming, others might find it too slow, too restrictive, whatever. Experience as a rider or coach has nothing to do with how one is to love a software or not.

Yet my point is this: SportTracks (with plugins) allows all of the same features as WKO and even more for cheaper.

And I don't fail to answer, you fail to accept my opinion because you disagree. Get over it, people can make their own mind.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts