Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I may be here to gloat a little bit. I moved and now that I have an apartment, and no more basement, I need a new place to store my bikes. Storage is pretty limited here but I found some space behind the door going into my bathroom and it's wide enough for two bikes so I made a bike stand!

I just made a frame that is slightly longer than the span between the axles (1st and 2nd pics) and realized I didn't like how they stood so then I shortened it so the hooks are at the span of the wheelbase so the bikes rest on them.

For less than $20 in materials, I'm pretty happy with it! Now, toot too :7: View attachment 280974 View attachment 280975 View attachment 280976

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It took less than 30 minutes to make and I had to make all of the angled cuts and such with just a hand saw. That was the hardest part. Next, I'm thinking about getting some sand paper and stain and making it look really nice.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good.

If you move the 2x4 with the hooks on it up about 6 inches the bikes will hang straighter without the bars wanting to turn off center.
I'm going to do that tomorrow. I figured that I had pissed off the neighbors downstairs (I did this on our concrete patio) enough for one day.

Opus, I'm a gentlemen and can't some ladies to the street.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Nice.

A few suggestions perhaps:

If the horizontal crossmembers were behind the vertical members (or between the vertical members at the rear), the bikes would be 3.5: closer to the wall and take up a bit less room.

Notches (or blocks on both side of the wheels) in the bottom crossmember could help keep the bikes aligned vertically.

The bottom cross member could be raised if necessary to keep the rear wheels from contacting the wall above it.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Yes, really nice!

I bet that front brace would be just as effective if it were half that length. I'd try cutting it and moving it back; it would be easier to get the bike out.
On second thought, you could even just recut the angles on the ends and move it back and up. Move the bottom back to about the middle of the leg.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Put some extra hooks for some gear like helmets and jackets!

Great idea by the way, I think I will do the same. I have been wanting to for a while but i did not want to drill into the walls.

·
Too slow to be smart
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use the Trek to commute to work. I need to put road tires on it...

I thought about making the braces shorter but it took me about 6 tries to cut an angle close enough to make it work so I just said "eff this" and left it that way. Oh, and that's 6 tries per end. I was doing it with just a hand saw and nothing to clamp it to.

Also, putting something underneath would be a good idea. I'll see what I can find.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.