Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extensive research, I'm getting ready to purchase a 2007 Look 585 frame. I was hoping you all could shed some light as to the proper size I need. I know I need either an XL or an XXL, but I'm not sure which. I had a shop that doesn't sell Look frames take some measurements (height, inseam, torso length, arm length etc.) and suggest a generic size I should shoot for. They suggested I get a frame sized 59 cm center-to-center or a 61 cm center-to-top. I am a shade under 6'1" and I have a 35.75 inch/90.8cm inseam. I'm thinking the XXL would be the better fit, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Who better to ask right?

If the XXL is indeed the right size for me, I was hoping you all could suggest the proper stem size for me. The shop told me to shoot for an overall reach (effective top tube + stem length) of around 68.5 cm. But since I'm unsure as to the effective top tube length of the 2007 585, I'm not sure what stem to order. I'm thinking a 10 cm stem would fit the bill if the geometry of the 07 is the same as the 08's.

I'm having trouble locating the frame geometry charts for the 2007 model so I've been using the 2008 specs listed on Look's website here: http://www.lookcycle.com/products/data/geometrie/geometrie585.pdf

I am well aware that fit, to an extent, is a matter of personal preference. I prefer a more aggressive stance on the bike as I do race on occasion and ride some of the local team-sponsered hammer fests on a weekly basis. I've been riding for about 10 years now.

Any and all input is much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

If you're an experienced rider and actually race, how come you don't have information from a previous frame that fits correctly?

When buying a new frame, it's all about duplicating contact points. You want the same handlebar height, same saddle height and saddle fore/aft position.

It not hard at all to compare the TT length, the seat tube angle and the total head tube length, with the headset, to see how the XXL frame would compare to what you ride now. The 2008 geometry is the same as 2007.

With a 91cm inseam, you may have a saddle height around 81cm, so you'll need the tallest head tube you can get, unless you ride with more than 10cm of saddle to bar drop.

It would also seem that you have long legs and short torso. The XXL has a 24mm taller head tube (good), but 12mm more reach, so it will require one size shorter stem.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
i'm 72.75" and have been hot for a 595. The L I've test ridden twice is perfect for me. I take a tape, and measure from the ctr of the seatpost bolt to the ctr of the stem/bar, and I'm at 73.5 with about 6.5cm of drop. It sounds like you're pretty close to me, and I would be perfect on the L with the 585, 595, and the 586 I threw a leg over for the first time today.
the ride of the look frames is just absolutly stunning, sensational, phenomenal.
I'm thinking the xxl may be too long, and you're probably a L/XL tweener. Good luck, and please post images and ride report.
GO BUCKEYES!!!! We're gonna be good this year!!! Do you go to any games?

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jhamlin38 said:
i'm 72.75" and have been hot for a 595. The L I've test ridden twice is perfect for me. I take a tape, and measure from the ctr of the seatpost bolt to the ctr of the stem/bar, and I'm at 73.5 with about 6.5cm of drop. It sounds like you're pretty close to me, and I would be perfect on the L with the 585, 595, and the 586 I threw a leg over for the first time today.
the ride of the look frames is just absolutly stunning, sensational, phenomenal.
I'm thinking the xxl may be too long, and you're probably a L/XL tweener. Good luck, and please post images and ride report.
GO BUCKEYES!!!! We're gonna be good this year!!! Do you go to any games?
I've been going to games since I could walk and now I get the student package every year. Shoot, I was born at the University hospital, my parents are both alumni and I grew up a few miles off campus in UA, so I am a HUGE Buckeye fan.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
After extensive research, I'm getting ready to purchase a 2007 Look 585 frame. I was hoping you all could shed some light as to the proper size I need. I know I need either an XL or an XXL, but I'm not sure which. I had a shop that doesn't sell Look frames take some measurements (height, inseam, torso length, arm length etc.) and suggest a generic size I should shoot for. They suggested I get a frame sized 59 cm center-to-center or a 61 cm center-to-top. I am a shade under 6'1" and I have a 35.75 inch/90.8cm inseam. I'm thinking the XXL would be the better fit, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Who better to ask right?

If the XXL is indeed the right size for me, I was hoping you all could suggest the proper stem size for me. The shop told me to shoot for an overall reach (effective top tube + stem length) of around 68.5 cm. But since I'm unsure as to the effective top tube length of the 2007 585, I'm not sure what stem to order. I'm thinking a 10 cm stem would fit the bill if the geometry of the 07 is the same as the 08's.

I'm having trouble locating the frame geometry charts for the 2007 model so I've been using the 2008 specs listed on Look's website here: http://www.lookcycle.com/products/data/geometrie/geometrie585.pdf

I am well aware that fit, to an extent, is a matter of personal preference. I prefer a more aggressive stance on the bike as I do race on occasion and ride some of the local team-sponsered hammer fests on a weekly basis. I've been riding for about 10 years now.

I imagine that both XL and XXL are too big for you if you race and prefer more aggressive stance...
Here is the 07 geometry chart I found from Excel Sports.
XL has the headtube length of 175mm.....

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...Frameset+2007&vendorCode=LOOK&major=1&minor=1

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
this is going to come down to how you like to fit on a bike. If your reach on the XXL can be accomplished with a 10cm stem, my inclination would be to say that toptube is too long for you and too much weight is being given to your long legs relative to your height (which can be accommodated by seat post). That would suggest you'd be better off on the XL. Then again, maybe you'd fit better on something like a Cervelo 58cm rather than deciding between a 57 or 59 in the Look (semi-kidding).

·
Registered
252 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
The XXL and XL are too big? Even with my 35.75" inseam?
The seat height can be adjusted. The top tube cannot, so go by that. With your inseam and height, you must have a short torso, so I'd assume you would need to go to a smaller sized frame.

Go get professionally fitted. :)

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
I'm 6 feet tall with 33 inseam and the L would be my size.
Only issue is the head tube is little too long for my taste but with a -17 degree angle stem I can almost make it work.
For most people the head tube length should be fine or may even be too short.
I brought this up since you said you would prefer "aggressive stance" and I'm guessing you meant the handlebar drop from the saddle....
I test rode a 585 last year and it was fabulous.

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Again, I'd say you're prob an X-LARGE. My fam is in UA also. I'm sure they know my aunt/uncle and cousins. Same last name as my username.
Good luck with your hunt. If you're building your own frameset up yourself, just purchase two stems and return the one that doesn't work for you.
Fwiw, I currently have a 58cm tt, and a 120mm stem,totaling 70cm overall, and I'm perfect on the L595. I doubt you need a XXL. good luck to you and GO BUCKS!!

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Is that seriously your "cycling inseam" ?

What are the measurements of your current ride? That is the real question.

I am about the same height as you, and I would probably ride a L with their new sizing. I have an older Look-- in 57. As others have mentioned the top tube is most significant. It is inexplicable why bikes are not sized that way.

(I had a difficult time believing the shop that it would be the right fit--- they only had a 57 in stock and it was a bare frameset that needed to be built up. The 57 Look was actually larger than a 58 Trek.).

BuckeyeBiker said:

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
filtersweep said:
Is that seriously your "cycling inseam" ?

What are the measurements of your current ride? That is the real question.

I am about the same height as you, and I would probably ride a L with their new sizing. I have an older Look-- in 57. As others have mentioned the top tube is most significant. It is inexplicable why bikes are not sized that way.

(I had a difficult time believing the shop that it would be the right fit--- they only had a 57 in stock and it was a bare frameset that needed to be built up. The 57 Look was actually larger than a 58 Trek.).
Well, it's not my pants inseam. It's my inseam measured from the floor up to my crotch where the saddle would make contact with my butt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
I am a shade under 6'1" and I have a 35.75 inch/90.8cm inseam.

I'm 6'0" and have a 34.5"/87.7 cm inseam and ride a size XL Look 585.

I use a 110 mm stem with 1.5 cm of spacers, 2 cm are shown in the picture. I do wonder from time to time how a size L would feel. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.