Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the OK from the Boss for a new bike. Been riding the Berlin I bought new when I was a freshman in High School. Many happy miles on the old girl. Just a few hours away from turning 53, time for a smoother ride. My favorite LBS carries Trek and the Madone 5.2 looks like good choice for my likes, needs and budget.

Just like to get some feedback about my choice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got the OK from the Boss for a new bike. Been riding the Berlin I bought new when I was a freshman in High School. Many happy miles on the old girl. Just a few hours away from turning 53, time for a smoother ride. My favorite LBS carries Trek and the Madone 5.2 looks like good choice for my likes, needs and budget.

Just like to get some feedback about my choice.

Just ride it and grind it. Don't forget the boss also.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My LBS doesn't have one in stock. They do have a 2012 Madone 6.5 I'm eyeing. Going to talk to the shop owner and try to work out a deal today. It's a Project One to boot!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,667 Posts
i had a P1 6.9SSL for the last year, and when the new frame came out i wanted to switch to it (i work in a shop, and i like to have current stuff for whatever reason) so i just built a bike w/ the 5.9 frame which is the same as the 5.2. great bike...stiff, steers well, at least as comfortable as my 6.9 just heavier. it's funny because my boss has a 7.9SSL w/ the vapor coat paint job and all new Red w/ Bontrager carbon wheels. very stealthy. when customers come in and check out bikes, they look at his and say "oh, cool", then they see mine and say "ohhhh, great paint job!". i'm really happy w/ it, for sure.

View attachment 276601

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went back to the LBS for the 3rd time of test rides and sizing. The Madone Project One I mentioned in my earlier post ended up being to big (56). Today test road a 52 & 54 Madone 5.2 . Both are 2012s. Also took a 2012 54 Domain 4.? for a ride. They all great rides, the Domane was smoother riding but the Madones felt quicker.

After all that riding the owner asked me to try one more he had in stock. This one was 54 size, 2013 Madone Project One. It was a great ride. Smoother then the 1st Madones. Weight is 16 lbs 2 oz with my pedals. After the ride he made me a deal so good, I feel guilty to talk about the it.

Thanks folks for your words of wisdom! Photos to come soon. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, here's the deal... Been eyeing the Madones in the LBS. Looking at the Trek website and liked the Madone 5.2. It's price point is at the maximum amount I could get away spending. Figured the Madone 5.2 my size would have to be ordered. Now that the owner gave me a deal that couldn't be passed up on the in stock Project One Series 6 Madone. It's now on layaway :rolleyes: What a freaking tease!!! Stopped by and took a few pictures today.

Come on taxes and get here:)

Can't continue, it's breaking my heart. Thanks again for everyone's information and help :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
^Nice! I recently purchased a 5.2, and have been really happy with it so far.
Need to get some real miles in it though.

Congrats on the new rig. I would have a hard time passing up a six as well.
Cheers,

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 277005

I just got this last week and it is by far the nicest bike I have owned right down to the carbon bars with aero tops. The new DA is vastly improved. I have a 60cm 2011 Madone 6 series DA for sale if anyone is interested.

You will enjoy your new bike.
Love the paint!

My only concern is the rear brake and how much road dirt it will accumulate?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Love the paint!

My only concern is the rear brake and how much road dirt it will accumulate?[/QUOTE

Thanks. You can't see it but black runs the length of the down tube where the cages are. It looks better in person...breaks up the white.

I haven't thought about that but I don't ride in the rain often...guess i'll find out.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,667 Posts
Love the paint!

My only concern is the rear brake and how much road dirt it will accumulate?
why would the brake get any dirtier than if it were in the traditional spot? i can not for the life of me understand the concern people have w/ this. don't worry, it's not a problem at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why would the brake get any dirtier than if it were in the traditional spot? i can not for the life of me understand the concern people have w/ this. don't worry, it's not a problem at all.
It's just that the brake is mounted on the bottom of BB. In direct spray from the front wheel. Guess time will tell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I' ve got 100 miles on mine now. I don't get the issue with the brake. Coloring on my bike has white brakes and looks clean to me even after a ride in damp conditions. I'm sure on the fly servicing will not be that easy. The brakes work who care where they are at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.