Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what I have:
Rocky Mountain Prestige 30 CR
Frame: Tapered Head Tube, Hi Mod Carbon Monocoque, Carbon Dropouts. Performance Comfort Geometry
Fork: RMB Carbon / Tapered Alloy Steerer
Head Set: Ritchey Pro Zero Logic
Stem: FSA OS-190LX 6°
Handlebar: FSA Wing Compact
Brakes: Tektro R540 Dual Pivot, Cartridge Pad
Brake Levers: Shimano 105
Shifters: Shimano 105 10spd
Gearing (FR): Shimano 105 34.9mm
Gearing (RR): Shimano 105
Cranks & Chainrings: FSA Omega 50/34T
Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega EXO
Hubs (FR): Shimano R500A
Hubs (RR): Shimano R500A
Cassette: Shimano 105 12-27T
Chain: Shimano 105
Spokes: Shimano R500A Stainless
Rims: Shimano R500A 24mm
Tires (RR/FR): Bontrager R2
Seat Post: RMB UD Carbon 31.6mm
Saddle: Bontrager

This is what I'm considering:

Bike: Ridley Excalibur
Ridley 4ZA Excalibur Monocoque Carbon Fiber Frame
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP Team Bottom Bracket
Brakes: SRAM Rival Brake Calipers
Cassette: SRAM PG-1050 11/26 Cassette
Chain: SRAM PC-1031 Chain
Crank: SRAM Rival 50/34 Compact Crankset
Front Derailleur: SRAM Rival 34.9 Front Derailleur
Handlebar: TapeArundel Cork Handlebar Tape
Handlebar: ZIPP Service Course Handlebar
Headset: FSA Integrated Headset
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Rival Rear Derailleur
Saddle: Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio
Seatpost: ZIPP Service Course Seatpost
Shifters: SRAM Rival Integrated Shifters
Stem: ZIPP Service Course Stem
Tires: Schwalbe Lugano Tires
Tubes: Butyl Rubber Presta Tubes
Wheels: Reynolds Shadow Wheelset

I can get it for $1,700, 2012 model, brand new.

Deal or no deal? Will I like the SRAM Rival vs. the Shimano 105? Are the wheels good (BTW the Shimano R500A's suck and are heavy)? I don't race, but log long miles (40-60 mi. per ride), so is this the bike I want/need for that type of riding?

Thanks for your help.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Before offering any feedback/ opinions, I'd be curious to know what you think this next bike will get you that the current one doesn't. Better fit? Better ride? "More for the money"? "Just cuz"? (that's allowed :wink5:)

Also consider linking to both bikes so that we can compare geo and specs ourselves.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before offering any feedback/ opinions, I'd be curious to know what you think this next bike will get you that the current one doesn't. Better fit? Better ride? "More for the money"? "Just cuz"? (that's allowed :wink5:)

Also consider linking to both bikes so that we can compare geo and specs ourselves.

Good question, PJ.
As you know, I was planning on upgrading some of the components on my RM bike, especially the wheels. While pricing the wheels, I came across this deal on the Ridley. Seems that for the same money (possibly less if I sell my current bike at what I consider a fair price) I will have a new bike with better components. It may be that I a way wrong on this, which is why I posed the question.

RM info: Bikes | Road | Road | PRESTIGE 30 CR
I have the size 51. Changed tires to Bontrager R2, size 23 (gift from my wife).

Ridley info: 2012 Ridley Excalibur / SRAM Rival Complete Bike - 2012 - Competitive Cyclist
Size S.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
9,790 Posts
How many posts before the first BikesDirect suggestion? Any guesses?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Will you like rival is a very personal thing. I love my Apex and Rival bikes. Would not get any other brand with brifters as I like doubletap a lot. It is very different from shimano so hard to tell. You may get used to it right away, or you may hate them until the end. I would suggest trying them if you can. I don't want to condone abusing LBS by test riding a bike you have no intention of buying. But if a friend can let you borrow one or you rent one give it a shot. Seems like a solid deal to me...

·
Registered
865 Posts
i'm not sure that i see the ridley as an upgrade. rival is not superior to 105, merely different. and as as far as i know, both of those frames are sourced in a factory in taiwan.

if you're taken with the brand name, then you may want to buy a frame, new wheels and swap the 105 components over. CC has a 2011 Noah for $1300, the excalibur for $900, and the damocles for for $1100. all would seem to present cheaper options than replacing your already high end group with a another one just to get a different frame and lighter wheels.

as for wheels, you may want to consider these: 1600 grams for $249

Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset - Road Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

or my personal favorites, the slrs: 1500 grams for $70 bucks more.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Sure you wanna sell the very bike that your wife bought you? :D

That would never have worked for me! :cryin:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol same here, she would have killed me even for mentioning this :mad2:

I did not mean to imply that she bought the bike for me. Only that she gave me new tires at Christmas. But, thanks for the advice anyway.
From what I see so far, I should keep the Rocky Mountain and upgrade the wheels as originally planned.
I am looking at the Reynolds Solitude wheel set at Nashbar for $300. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

·
9,790 Posts
Even if you get a new bike, I'd keep the Rocky. You just don't see many Rocky Mountains around.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
i'm not sure that i see the ridley as an upgrade. rival is not superior to 105, merely different.
IMO, this sums things up the best. All things considered, I don't see enough of a difference between the two bikes to warrant the cost. Nothing's really 'better', just "different'.

as for wheels, you may want to consider these: 1600 grams for $249

Vuelta Corsa Lite Road Wheelset - Road Bike Wheels / Wheelsets
I have no firsthand experiences with these wheels, but judging from reviews, they seem to offer a lot in the way of performance given their price.

Re: the Solitude's, I suggest doing some internet searches. Not stellar performers.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have no firsthand experiences with these wheels, but judging from reviews, they seem to offer a lot in the way of performance given their price.
I have these on my Allez. Overall I am happy with them. Roads are rough around here, I have had several pinch flats but they are still true non the less. Reasonably light, spin up well. For the price I am happy. Decals aren't great, I took the all off.

·
9,790 Posts
I've sold several pairs of Vuelta wheels and haven't had any come back for truing or other issues. That makes them a good wheel from my point of view. Plus they're very affordable.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all of the advice/opinions. I knew your input would be very imformative and helpful.

I have decided to keep the Rocky Mountain and upgrade the wheels and, maybe the crankset later on.

Anyone know anything about these? 30mm Rouleur - Boyd Cycling
Sounds like a good wheelset, and they are located only 15 minutes away fro where I now sit.

Thanks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Anyone know anything about these? 30mm Rouleur - Boyd Cycling
Sounds like a good wheelset, and they are located only 15 minutes away fro where I now sit.

Thanks.
Again, no firsthand experience here, but they look to be a solid wheelset. I suggest taking their advice on spoke count recommendations and also reading through their link on hub options.

Hubs

Basically, if you're planning on staying with Shimano 10 speed for awhile, you'd opt for the 10 speed freehub. If you're considering going with 11 speed within the life span of the wheelset, consider the 11 speed option.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again, no firsthand experience here, but they look to be a solid wheelset. I suggest taking their advice on spoke count recommendations and also reading through their link on hub options.

Hubs

Basically, if you're planning on staying with Shimano 10 speed for awhile, you'd opt for the 10 speed freehub. If you're considering going with 11 speed within the life span of the wheelset, consider the 11 speed option.

Yes, they do look solid. And I was definitely going with the higher spoke count. I don't see me going to 11-speed in the near future.

I contacted the company (Boyd) and the person I spoke with said I could pick them up at the company headquarters here in Greenville, saving the cost of shipping. But, paying the sales tax kind of makes that a wash (although, being in SC, I may have to pay shipping AND sales tax if I buy online!!). I may stop by there later this week and take a look around. They are right on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and seem to welcome bikers who just drop in.

Any other suggestions for sub-$500 wheelsets?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Yes, they do look solid. And I was definitely going with the higher spoke count. I don't see me going to 11-speed in the near future.

I contacted the company (Boyd) and the person I spoke with said I could pick them up at the company headquarters here in Greenville, saving the cost of shipping. But, paying the sales tax kind of makes that a wash (although, being in SC, I may have to pay shipping AND sales tax if I buy online!!). I may stop by there later this week and take a look around. They are right on the Swamp Rabbit Trail and seem to welcome bikers who just drop in.

Any other suggestions for sub-$500 wheelsets?
If their operation is that casual, you may want to ask if you could bring you bike and try the wheelset out.

In that price range, the only other wheelset that comes to mind is the Shimano Ultegra's. Not knowing your weight, I'd advice caution if above ~175 lbs., due to the low spoke counts (16/20).

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Wheelset - Road Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

FWIW, I like Shimano's because of their cup/ cone (loose ball bearing) hub assemblies (versus cartridge type).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If their operation is that casual, you may want to ask if you could bring you bike and try the wheelset out.

In that price range, the only other wheelset that comes to mind is the Shimano Ultegra's. Not knowing your weight, I'd advice caution if above ~175 lbs., due to the low spoke counts (16/20).

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Road Wheelset - Road Bike Wheels / Wheelsets

FWIW, I like Shimano's because of their cup/ cone (loose ball bearing) hub assemblies (versus cartridge type).

Good idea about stopping by Boyd's on my bike. I ride right by their door every couple of weeks or so, whenever I ride that trail, usually with my wife since the ride is not very demanding. I will plan to stop by on my next ride.

Rider weight is important when choosing wheels, so I should have known to include that earlier. I weigh 197 lb. I ride on some back roads which have some fairly rough stretches. I know my local routes pretty well and can usually avoid the bigger bumps, but some chewed-up asphalt is always a factor. And there are always hills of varying grades and lengths.

Again, I am not planning to race. I am getting into some fairly long charity rides, including 40 miles this coming Sat. and a 62 miler in late April. Really stretching things, I am considering a century in mid June. :confused:

So, I think (my opinion, FWIW) I need/want something as light as I can get away with for hill climbing and for riding longer distances, but wheels that can stand up to high mileage (125+ per week) over regular roads. It does occur to me that it is possible that such wheels do not exist at the below $500 level.

Thanks for your help. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.