Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a pretty experienced mountain biker, but unfortunately rain prevents me from hitting the trails as much I'd like. I'm looking for a decent road bike to stay in shape on the days I can't hit the trails. I don't care too much about performance like I would on a mountain bike, I just want something moderately good that won't fall apart on me. These are some bikes that I've looked at so far:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/1754390392.html
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington1_IX.htm

I'm trying to keep things under $300, so what should I get?

· Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
You can get a nicer quality used bike for under $300. I'd be patient, and also check ebay. The two bikes you have linked are quite similar.
Make sure it'll fit you, and welcome to the forums.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Peanya said:
You can get a nicer quality used bike for under $300.
The OP has experience as a rider, so that's a big help. If you (the OP) know any of your MTB friends that also ride road, they might be able to help you on fit which of course is crucial. But other than that, if you're in or near a good-sized city, you'll find a good option on Craigslist before too long.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Make sure it fits. There are some adjustments you can make re: fit, but if it's too far out of range you'll likely not be happy with it. Personally I doubt if I'd buy a bike I saw on the web. There's no way of telling how it would fit, how it handles, how it rides, how well the components work, etc. I'm certainly not against buying a used bike. I'm just saying I would not but one until I could see it "in the flesh' and ride it for a bit.

· Registered
2,745 Posts
Nikhil said:
I'm a pretty experienced mountain biker, but unfortunately rain prevents me from hitting the trails as much I'd like. I'm looking for a decent road bike to stay in shape on the days I can't hit the trails.?
It it's too rainy out to go mountain biking are you sure road biking is what you want to be doing?

Anyway, rain can really take it's toll on road bikes so I'd go cheap here. Or seeing as though you don't care about performance and just want a workout why not just get some different tires for your mountain bike and ride the roads with that?

· Registered
5,084 Posts
Take your $300 and get a used mtb trainer wheel and a good fluid trainer.

I did that for 3 yrs. It worked well. You have to invest in some training dvds, but you can build those up over time.

I went to a road bike to change things up a bit and ride when it's just done raining and the trails are too wet. The roads are usually decent the next day to get something in.

I have no interest in road riding in the rain. I huck the road bike on the trainer for the raining days. I have done a few mtb races in the rain and I can't say I had the best time, but it was different.

I have found that I like "just getting out" on the road bike some days just to get out there.

· Premium Member
5,480 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
It it's too rainy out to go mountain biking are you sure road biking is what you want to be doing?

Anyway, rain can really take it's toll on road bikes so I'd go cheap here. Or seeing as though you don't care about performance and just want a workout why not just get some different tires for your mountain bike and ride the roads with that?
Depending on where the OP is from/rides, even after a few days, trail conditions can stay quite bad/muddy. I MTB in the forests also.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.