Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm looking for a aluminum frame bike that I can race in crits. Something, unlike my Colnago, that when I wreck in a crit, I'm not devastated. Something I can beat up. ride over brick roads. Have about $2000 - $2500 to spend. Would like to stay with Campy as I'm use to it as its on my work horse bike.

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Something used ... That way, when you crash, you are not out as much $$$ as you would be with a new bike.

A used Cannondale would be an excellent place to start: CAAD8, CAAD9 or CAAD10

You might also look for used steel bikes since they can be repaired and are likely to hold up a little better in a crash and weight isn't as much of an issue in a crit as in other races. Maybe find a cheap frame and put the components you want on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wait till van dessel lists their closeout rivets on eBay. I picked up a frame set with enve 2.0 fork last year for $999. They're out there if you look hard enough. For alloy I'd check spooky (email them direct for deals) or find a cdale caad used.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
I've been a big fan of the Van Dessel Hellafaster. Good looking aluminum bike that has the added perk of being able to convert to a TT bike. Retail on the frame is a little under $1000. Hard to argue with a CAAD.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love my van dessel rivet but they have never I mean NEVER returned my emails. I went to look for their eBay handle and couldn't locate it because they never even gave me positive feedback for a $1k purchase. However, Mickey at Spooky would answer my questions..and this is no kidding..within a few HOURS and answer every question with the utmost professionalism and courtesy. My next bike will be a spooky skeletor because I only buy cheaper (if you call $1k for a frame set cheap) bikes due to my propensity for adrenaline fueled riding and crits, the only kind of racing I can be competitive at lol.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
All good suggestions. You see lots of CAADs, Giant TCRs, and Cervelo Soloists on the crit circuit. Van Dessel makes a nice bike, as does Spooky (although I think Spooky is only doing custom made-to-order now). I'd also add Tsunami into the mix. Wookie can attest for them as I know he previously had one. I have one of their cross bikes. A custom frame from them should easily run you under 1k. I think their base price is $700.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
I'd look on C L for lightly used aluminum bikes on the cheap. Cannondale caad 5 and up or maybe a Specialized Allez.
I jumped off the Specialized band wagon a few years back but that new Allez Frameset for $800 looks like a winner.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When you say, you'd like to stay with Campy, I assume you're looking at purchasing a complete bike?

I've seen Ridley Icarus SLS (Flandrien scheme looks nice) with Veloce.
The frameset only, is also available.

Have read a couple of opinions saying that the frame may be a bit flexy for what you're after. Check it out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
CAAD10
I have a 2011 and it always puts a smile on my face, it just begs to be hammered on.

They are pretty tough too...Last thursday on my LBS's groupride (well hammerfest:D) some guy didn't see us slowing and rammed my rear skewer, rotating it down and slamming the QR lever into the chainstay, luckily no damage except a small paint chip!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Staying with campy might be a road block it you're American and buying off the shelf here. I can't think of anything in that price range, good for crits, that comes with campy.

As mentioned CAAD is good choice if you're willing to not get campy.....but I think the model in that price range comes with RS-10 wheels. I've ridden on those and even though I'm not a heavy weight I would not want any part of racing crits with those wheels.
If you go that direction I'd suggest seeing if the shop will sell it to you sans wheels, reduce price accordingly, and get some decent but cheap wheels via Bike Wheel Warehouse or similar.

For what it's worth most people don't have any issue jumping from one brand shifter to another. I definitely understand wanting campy if that's what you're used too....but in that price range for that type of bike you'd really open up the possibilities by not getting campy so consider dropping that requirement.

Another option would be ebay a used CAAD9 (I can't imagine anyone is selling their CAAD10 yet), preferably poorly speced to keep the price down, and take off the parts and get campy yourelf cheap from one of the UK web sites. You'd need to get campy specific wheels also but I'm pretty sure you could do that and get exacly what you specify and at the price you specify going that route.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
No CAAD 10 frame only for sale at dealers? If I were to start racing crits again I would pick up a Specialized Allez and throw on one of my old DA 10sp groupos on it. THe Allez has the same geometry as the Tarmac and the Tarmac would make a great crit bike. I love the way it handles in corners.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. Yes, I'm looking for a complete bike, just a little easier that way, and this is just a Crit / Rain / Back up bike. I get a little nervous taking my Colnago in Crits.

I was thinking of trying to stay with Campy as that is what I have on my Colnago and would rather stick with the same, you know, muscle memory going from one bike to other.

I soon as I posted this, I noticed my Road Bike Action Mag has an article on three AL bikes. And the Caad 10 got a lot of good remarks. Will have to check that out for sure.

Thanks again guys.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Caad10, here's my last year's bike with Campy build. Frame-only's can be difficult and slow to get from the LBS but there are plenty on ebay. For a Campy build you might consider getting a full ebay bike then parting out the stuff you don't want.

·
Registered
317 Posts
You took the words almost exactly right out of my mouth!!

I also have a Colnago and want to start racing crits, I also don't want to ruin my beauty and want an aluminum bike.

This is what my homework tells me so far.
If we are starting its about getting in the game best bang for buck.... period.
To me a year or two learning the races will allow you to know what you want in a new bike and the previous races will get you through without worrying about wrecking your baby.

I have lots of extra parts and I bought a Jamis Alu frame with carbon fork and stays for $200. My extra Dura Ace and Ultegra parts with Reynolds 50mm carbon tubs will set the cheap frame up to be a ripper!

Watching the races tonight I learned a couple things, anybike works, I seen old steel and new Tiagra level bikes all mixing it up with the latest ZIPP equipped carbon frames.
The second thing I learned was the side line bike purists, what bike is that, did you see the wheels, how old are those cranks, damn that Dogma is three years old how does he ride it?

I am finishing building my bike over the next week then just dropping in with my parts bike, wonder if I will hear..who the hell uses those wheels on such a crappy frame LOL!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.