Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get to work a bit faster, so I'd like to replace the stock knobby 32mm tires on my hybrid for something faster. 30mm seems like it's still wide enough for the rough road and some occasional gravel. What are "road like" tires available in this size, that would be reasonably fast yet no too prone to punctures?

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Dumb question;
Have you tried riding with tires inflated to max or near-max pressure?

I experimented with my 38mm, going from 45psi to 60psi, and it made a world of difference.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already at the max 65 psi pressure, still way slower than on 23 or 25mm road slicks. I'd hope that 30 mm tires that don't have super big and deep threads would be better than what I have.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Challenge Strada Bianca.
Pretty much anything without knobs will be significantly faster than yours with knobs though so probably no need to pay what those cost for what you're trying to get at.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Dumb question;
Have you tried riding with tires inflated to max or near-max pressure?

I experimented with my 38mm, going from 45psi to 60psi, and it made a world of difference.
Doubtful it was 'actually faster'...probably 'felt' faster to you but that's probably it.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Unless he's riding only on really smooth roads......in which case the question would be why to heck use 38mm tires.
Probably talking about air pressure. Harder tires feel faster because more road chatter is felt. A higher volume, lower pressure, supple tire absorbs more of that road chatter while also rolling faster.

It also seems that a high volume, low pressure, supple tire is less susceptible to flats. This helps negate the need to run a stiffer, flat resistant casing, which is a win/win in my book.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Probably talking about air pressure. Harder tires feel faster because more road chatter is felt. A higher volume, lower pressure, supple tire absorbs more of that road chatter while also rolling faster.

I know "unless he's riding only on really smooth roads. (when there is no road chatter to be absorbed)......in which case the question would be why to heck use 38mm tires."

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Already at the max 65 psi pressure, still way slower than on 23 or 25mm road slicks. I'd hope that 30 mm tires that don't have super big and deep threads would be better than what I have.
If your tires have a knobby tread that's why they're slow, not the pressure.

Challenge Strada Bianca.
Pretty much anything without knobs will be significantly faster than yours with knobs though so probably no need to pay what those cost for what you're trying to get at.
Very nice tire.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
For a cheaper alternative, I've had success with Vittoria Randonneurs. They come in a lot of sizes, including 28mm, 32mm, 35mm, and 40mm.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
I know "unless he's riding only on really smooth roads. (when there is no road chatter to be absorbed)......in which case the question would be why to heck use 38mm tires."
I'm using 42mm and my question is why the heck not?

And, as far as Mr. ToiletSiphon goes, he's looking for something for "the rough roads and occasional gravel" so there's that about really smooth roads.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
How pronounced is the knobs pattern on this tire?

Edit : oh god I saw the price... Ouch!
I have a pair of last years version, which AFAICT, are the same tire, same pleasure dots, same size and can be had pretty cheap. I like them, the knobs are super minimal, I think they add a teeny bit of traction on rough surfaces, but really, they ride like slicks. They do measure a true 30mm.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
I have a pair of last years version, which AFAICT, are the same tire, same pleasure dots, same size and can be had pretty cheap. I like them, the knobs are super minimal, I think they add a teeny bit of traction on rough surfaces, but really, they ride like slicks. They do measure a true 30mm.
Bicycle tire tread adds traction only when the surface is deformable (dirt, gravel, etc.). If the road is rough pavement, tread does not improve traction in any way.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Bicycle tire tread adds traction only when the surface is deformable (dirt, gravel, etc.). If the road is rough pavement, tread does not improve traction in any way.
Thank you doctor science, I won't take your bait to derail.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you know what's the name of last year version?

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts