Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cheap fixie frame, either on the internet somewhere or from someone on here selling one. I want it mostly to try out as a commuter around campus to get to class. anyone know of any good sales going around or know where i can get one. im looking for like a bikesdirect or performancebike.com quality bike.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
If you're handy

with the wrenches, cheap used is the way to go. Until just a few years ago there was no such thing as an off-the-shelf road fixie, except for track bikes. The bikes out there were conversions. Older road bikes are very easy to convert to fixed if you have even a little bit of mechanical skill.

If that sounds like something you're interested in, start haunting garage sales and thrift stores. I built my first (and still favorite) fixie about 12 years ago, using mostly cast-off parts, and ultimately spending a little $ upgrading a few. The frame came from a bike I got for $5 at a garage sale.

If you find an older road or sport bike with horizontal dropouts, you don't have to mess with any of that magic gear or eccentric hub complication, either.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
Bought a used, but in great shape Soma Rush frame and fork on eBay a few years ago for $317.

My previous frame and fork (custom 531 Romic touring) was from a estate sale that I got for $15.

If you have time and patience to really search eBay, Craig's List, garage sales, and pawn shops, you'll run across some excellent bikes and frames ready for a build up or conversion.

What size frame are you looking for?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I never get lucky at garage sales and estate sales (can you see the envy seeping through your screen, Tig?). I've only run into Huffy bikes. Had better luck with CL.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
palu said:
I never get lucky at garage sales and estate sales (can you see the envy seeping through your screen, Tig?). I've only run into Huffy bikes. Had better luck with CL.
Don't worry, your not the only one. I have horrible luck finding garage sales and the like. I do have some luck in the fact that there are a couple of stores that have used parts on a consistent basis but I rarely see a whole lot of track stuff there.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,269 Posts
I've never had that much luck, either.
The only time was at this one estate sale. They said the guy before me took boxes of "bike parts" like the ones I had. In addition to the frame, I bought an old set of Campy wheels with Record hubs, an early 70's Campy rear derailleur, new in box, and a Shimano Crane DS rear derailleur, new in box. I can only imagine what incredible stuff the first guy walked away with if he left that stuff behind!!!

I eBayed the derailleurs for very nice prices and payed for the fixie conversion from that. The first guy was likely able to retire early from his profits! I guess timing was on his side. :mad2:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
go to fixed gear gallery and click on their venders, fixedgearfreek.com they do conversions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tig said:
Bought a used, but in great shape Soma Rush frame and fork on eBay a few years ago for $317.

My previous frame and fork (custom 531 Romic touring) was from a estate sale that I got for $15.

If you have time and patience to really search eBay, Craig's List, garage sales, and pawn shops, you'll run across some excellent bikes and frames ready for a build up or conversion.

What size frame are you looking for?
Tig i am looking for a 54cm i suppose. i have never bought road bike before, i have only ridden mountain bikes, and they are 17 or 17.5 inch frames depending on the brand. and i think a 54 is compatible i guess

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Tig said:
I've never had that much luck, either.
The only time was at this one estate sale. They said the guy before me took boxes of "bike parts" like the ones I had. In addition to the frame, I bought an old set of Campy wheels with Record hubs, an early 70's Campy rear derailleur, new in box, and a Shimano Crane DS rear derailleur, new in box. I can only imagine what incredible stuff the first guy walked away with if he left that stuff behind!!!

I eBayed the derailleurs for very nice prices and payed for the fixie conversion from that. The first guy was likely able to retire early from his profits! I guess timing was on his side. :mad2:
Oh man, I envy you. I never find anything awesome like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.