Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a frame and build it up for my wife. Can any one recommend a frame considering the following: She has mountain biked for many years (on a very recreational level), but has never road biked before. Looking for a frame that's very complaint with a large trail and lots of stability descending, a longer head tube and a moderately shorter top tube. We're talking about social rides here; no racing or even competitive rec riding involved. She will get a pro fit done to truly zero in on all of this, but you get the general idea.

I would really like it to be a fairly light weight frame if possible (~1,500g or less - actual weight). I'll build up another steel touring oriented bike if we end up going that route so there's no need to try and get a bike that does it all. So far the only frame I've found that comes close to fitting the bill is a Specialized Roubaix Pro.

Any other ideas/recommendations?

·
Registered
157 Posts
you can't go wrong with Specialized - they're a solid brand with plenty of dealer support.

Trek has got a range of road bikes supposedly designed for women specifically, and Trek is priced competitively.

also, check out Blue Competition cycles www.rideblue.com
I've seen women racing them... but I would expect they could set your wife up too.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Alright Lewis you're starting to take the p!$$ now. At what point do the mods step in and get this guy to stop pedaling his wares?

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Trek WSD geometry actually looks pretty good. To be honest, I completely forgot they had the WSD line. I didn't think what I was looking for was necessarily WSD so I never looked at any of the WSD lines.

Does anyone know if Trek sells the Madone WSD as a frame only? I would really like to stick with Campy as long as I don't have to buy a groupset that I'm not going use just to get the frame.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frame size is the next step, but I suspect it will end up being a 54cm, maybe a 52cm.

·
Registered
94 Posts
mark4501 said:
you can't go wrong with Specialized - they're a solid brand with plenty of dealer support.

Trek has got a range of road bikes supposedly designed for women specifically, and Trek is priced competitively.

also, check out Blue Competition cycles www.rideblue.com
I've seen women racing them... but I would expect they could set your wife up too.

I agree on the Blue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.