Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Easton Circuits are fine for training but are way too flexy IMO for crits. Last season I kept thinking my rear tire was going flat. Found a new Ksyrium ES (rear only) on ebay for a steal...wow, what a difference.

Now I'm in search of a new front wheel to go with the K ES in the rear. I'm leaning away from another K ES...mostly because of the cost.

So...stiffness is a priority and I'd like something relatively aero so it spins up quick. And light...i know, pick 2.

Lastly I'm looking to spend less than $300 so I'm not pissed when I taco it!

The neuvation R28 Aero4 is way under budget, which is great...but I'm not sure how stiff it will be. I was hoping for a little more aero too (like AC 420s).

Thanks in advance

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Depends on the course. If I'm racing something flat and sweepy I'll be on something more aero than light.

If I'm on a tight and twisty course, I'll ride whatever wheels I happen to have on the bike OR when I have a 'climbing' specific wheelset (D/A + GL330s usually) I'll race that.

AFA specific wheels, ride whatcha got 'cause at one point or another yer gonna hafta replace em

M

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had two sets of neuvation wheels. I like them. I've done some crit racing and cross racing on them. The are light, but not the lightest, and they are stiff enough, though not the stiffest. But they are the best priced.

Right now the regular alum. front aero spoked wheel is $85. You could get a whole box of 'em for $300. They have a carbon tubular on sale for $280 at 650 grams. You can't beat that anywhere.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
marc180 said:
Found a new Ksyrium ES (rear only) on ebay for a steal...wow, what a difference.
The Ksyriums have never tested as having great lateral stiffness. I'm thinking there was something else wrong with your Eastons.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i'm not that heavy...145lbs. something certainly might have been weird with my easton's, though i have had them tensioned.

the difference between the easton and ksyrium rear is truly amazing.

back on topic...i'm leaning towards an aero clincher for the front. just can't decide on what wheel..

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
nio27or 30mm front rim - AC hub (light and cheap) revo or comp spokes...

parts cost should be around $125 - maybe $30-40 labour for a good builder to do it for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts