Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a reformed luddite, new to smart phones. I know that there are several cycling aps out there, but I really don't have the time to check them ALL out, so let me tell you what I am looking for:

I want an app that I can turn on only when I am riding, that will keep track of my mileage (maybe climbing), speed, time in the saddle and that's about all. I don't want to share this with anybody, or make fancy maps, or have to follow some damn map app, either. I don't want the app to speak, nag, or try to sell me something while riding. I will NOT be placing my phone on a bar mount, it will just be inside my bag. Low battery useage would be nice, too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I use Map My Ride, free version. I'm happy with it, I upload my rides and go to their web page while cooling down after my rides. I usually look at the information and wonder if it's meaningless or useful, I guess it's helpful to compare rides over the same route and fun to review my ride, but the text document I keep on my hard drive is almost as useful. The app does show altitude gained which my handlebar bike computer doesn't. My bike computer is slightly more accurate because my phone, not the app will cut corners and measure a straight line across a turn instead of all the way around because the phone often drops a satellite for a few seconds, that doesn't show when it happens on a straight line. That will happen with any of the phone apps. You can correct any discrepancy on their web page.

Battery life has improved tremendously in the last few years, Now my phone shows only 17% battery use after a 3 hour ride. A few years ago a 3 hour ride would totally drain a full battery. The apps are all about the same, you'll probably stick with whatever one you try first. If you are into comparing your times against others on portions of your rides Strava might have more users in your area. I've never used any app other than Map My Ride so I'm not sure about that. I do use it on all my rides now. I keep my phone in a bag, I don't use it for navigation.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Strava, map my ride, there are lots that will do what you want. Just do a search and pick the one that meets your needs.

You could also buy a inexpensive Cat Eye bike computer that will do it also.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
the obvious answer is STRAVA. If you are a true luddite like me, you'll want to be on software others are on in case you have questions. Garmin connect has some nice analytics but Strava has the soccial networking locked down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can't speak to the latest version of Map My Ride 'cause a while back I switched from MMR to Ride with GPS when on my old phone an MMR update was not supported. I've been very happy. You CAN put pre-planned routes on your phone for the app to follow, but I don't. At the end of a ride you need to tell it to upload the results, and then you can view them on line.

I'm not a fan of any device giving me voice directions, and I guess I'm not the only one. Once on a group ride some guy's phone kept talking to him from his pocket. Asked about it, he said, "It's in girlfriend mode. It tells me what to do."

·
Registered
607 Posts
the obvious answer is STRAVA. If you are a true luddite like me, you'll want to be on software others are on in case you have questions. Garmin connect has some nice analytics but Strava has the soccial networking locked down.
And if it's not obvious, it's still strava.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Another post for Strava Free version.
I use a cheap cateye cycling computer. I have it set for Cadence and time. I turn on whatever app I am using and put it in my back pocket.

I started on Map my Ride. The part I liked was being able to see how I did over segments of each ride. Only to compare against myself.

After reading about Strava here, I tried it. Strava has a lot more segments to track against and the interface lets me see more info and personal history on each segment. I don't share with anybody.

My wife wanted me to email her my routes before I went out for rides (she is worried about me crashing and bleeding to death on the side of the road). I found cyclemeter emails a link that gives a person information about your ride like current location and speed.

Cyclemeter has wonky timing though. On an 90 minute ride, it comes in 15 to 20 minutes less riding time than my watch, Strava, and or Map My Ride does.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I use Cyclemeter on iPhone6S and like it. Mounted on my bars and works well as my cycle computer, picks up my HRM and power meter bluetooth. Highly customizable display. I allow it to upload to Strava after each ride, to track and archive my rides - Strava is fun.
There is no nagging or anything, though I bought the premium for like five or ten bucks. Generally more reliable than my wife's Garmin 800 - seriously.

I get at least 4 hours with screen kept on full brightness all the time. In a back pocket I imagine it would go all the daylight hours maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts