Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get better riding, my rides get longer, I'm quickly finding out that water isn't cutting it. What is a good fluid replacement that I can get into my bottles? I used to use Motor Tabs back in the day, but can't find them anywhere.

What is everyone else using?

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I use 100 cal of fruit juice in a 24 oz bottle, fill it with water, and add salt or potassium as required to get it up to ~200 mg Na and 60mg K...

Or, just put in 16 oz of Gatorade or Powerade and fill bottle with water.

If you want some flavor and electrolytes without carbs, NUUN or Camelbak Elixir tablets are good.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I will use Skratch on occasion, but I'll usually just take an S-Cap and drink water.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I like NUUN tabs. Taste good but mild. Good electrolytes without calories. If I need fuel I make my own with Agave Nectar, Brown Rice Syrup, water and instant coffee.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
As I get better riding, my rides get longer, I'm quickly finding out that water isn't cutting it. What is a good fluid replacement that I can get into my bottles? I used to use Motor Tabs back in the day, but can't find them anywhere.

What is everyone else using?
Many years ago I quit putting anything but water in my bottles. That way the water is available for pouring over my head when it's really hot, washing my hands after fixing a flat, or rinsing the dirt out of road rash (fortunately this is very infrequent). Your hydration requirements vary widely with temperature and humidity but your calorie requirements are only a function of pace and distance. It is best to separate the two.

I put my salt in my food - as Mike T. explained a mix of table salt and "lite" salt gives a good blend of sodium and potassium. Depending on the kind of day I am looking at I can vary the amount of salt I mix with the food. I have never been on a ride where I needed electrolytes but didn't need food.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nuun tablets are my choice. I have a bunch of flavors and its very easy to carry a days long supply. I use these instead of the crappy gatorade mixes on the century rides I do. I dont like gu or gels so I also eat shot blocks. Both are great products and you can get both of them on amazon.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Experiment, because there are a lot of mixes out there. The one that hydrates you best is usually the one you end up craving, and therefore drink a lot of. I've tried a lot of mixes that I had to force myself to drink, because on the bike they just didn't ring my bell. For some reason my cravings and tastes change when I'm on the bike.

I usually go for a very mild flavor, and Skratch Labs orange does it for me. Gatorade irritates my throat, which kinda ruins it for me. Off the bike, I can drink it by the gallon.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all the replies everyone. Sounds like there are a ton of different products out there. I'll have to start testing out which I like the best. I believe there are quite a few at my LBS so I'll start there. Planning on slowly increasing my distances and I'm excited on my testing plans. Thanks again everyone.

Brandon

·
Registered
940 Posts
You can make your own for so little money, titrate your own calories and electrolytes, or use a preferred ingredients list to work from. Add caffeine or not etc. Use the sugar/carb/not you prefer. There seems to be no magic or expensive ingredient in skratch, for example. It doesn't need to be complicated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would recomend High5 Isotonic or Energy Source. Mixes well, tastes good (I know it's a personal matter though) and not expensive. You also have the sachet option wich is nice to carry in your pocket and refil your bottle.

Not sure if their products are available in the USA, but here in Europe they are well represented.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently tried a product called Tailwind Endurance Fuel. Mix it in with your water and that's all you need. I don't carry any bars, gu, or gels any more. It says all natural organic ingredients. They even have an event trial. If you aren't satisfied with the product, they will pay for your race entry fee. I've used it up to a 50 miler. Very satisfied with the results. I stayed hydrated, never got hungry, and didn't bonk out after the rides.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.