Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a new road bike but i have no idea what i want to buy. I am interested in finding a bike in the $800-$1200 range and would like to be able to buy something in the upcoming weeks. I am currently on a 2004 Specialized Allez comp (nothing special, tiagra 24 speed drivetrain) that is just too small for me now. I am looking for something preferably with 27 speeds. If it helps i ams about 5'10" and 160 lbs and any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you guys can get me.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
There's a thread called "Buying a Bike on a Budget" in beginner's corner that will give you some thoughts.

At the price range you suggest, you'll have options in both steel and aluminum, w/ or w/o carbon rears, in either full 105 or for some manufacturers, Ultegra. There are dozens of options, and you'll probably be able to narrow it to 4-5 fairly quickly. There's no right answer, either.

We all have our own biases... at that price point I'm partial to Giant and Lemond depending on what frame material you want. But everyone... Cannondale, Trek, Bianchi, Fuji, Scott ... will offer at least one bike in the $800-$1200 range. If there's a good, large, road oriented LBS in your area, go visit with sales folks (but don't take their word for gospel) and ride a few.

There's at least one reg. on this board (who may or may not be affiliated with an online vendor) who will jump in to strongly encourage you to consider buying over the web. However, since you've already struggled with a sizing error on your 2004 bike, you'll have to decide for yourself if you really want to do that. There are a number of web-only offerings that are certainly competitively priced.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I am actually hoping to find a good reputable online shop for road bikes/components. My only problem with my last bike is I bought it when I was still growing, not so much a sizing error as it was just my own growth. but now as I am just about done growing im willing to spend a little bit more on a bike and hopefully get a few solid years out of it. My big problem however is that I really dont know any online shops to get road bikes from as I am more mountain bike oriented so I know where I can find my mtb parts but I havent a clue where to find road bikes/parts online. So I guess my question now is what sites should I look at for road bikes/ road bike components?

·
Banned
476 Posts
for your price range

if you are spending $800 to $1200 in a shop - you will probably get something with old style 9-speed cassette and shifters

if you shop on-line - you can get the type of higher grade specs with 10-speed cassette and the nice new design shifters for $1000 or so

and do not forget Ebay - lots of new road bikes on ebay that are 35% to 50% less than they are in bike shops

my opinion - buy the best specs you can get
and look at the advertisers here on RBR - there are lots of deals

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
collectorvelo said:
...and look at the advertisers here on RBR - there are lots of deals
Great advice! It is the advertisers that keep this site up and running and you can get a good bike at a very good price from any of them.

Randall Scott, Leader, IBEX, Bikesdirect, Performance and Nashbar come to mind.

Check them all out because many of them often run specials.

collectorvelo said:
...my opinion - buy the best specs you can get
I would be a little more cautious here. First and foremost determine what you are looking for in a bike. Comfort, durabilty, speed, bling etc.

Wheel selection comes to mind here. If you are fairly lite (<170) and are looking for a race bike than you may find it hard to beat some of the deals at Bikesdirect. They often run specials that inlcude some very pricey lite weight wheels.

However, if you are heavier and/or are more focused on durabilty these wheels would not be well suited for you. In this case the offering from some of the other companies would fit the bill better even though they would not "spec" out as well.

Check them all out and get the one that gives you wood.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help

Thanks for the help that you guys have given me, i have visited my LBS and with a trade in I am probably going to get the Felt F75 for just over $1100 (its on sale, and they are giving me $250 for my trade). Again thanks for the advice and help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.