Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm the first person to post in here I think, cool...anyhow...

I'm looking for a new frame. I've got an older lugged steel frame with a full ultegra kit on it and really want to get a bit more modern frame to help motivate me to get back out on the road. (shhhh, I'm really a mountain biker, don't tell :p ) I saw a Fuji Roubaix Pro frame today at my LBS that was on closeout but it's a 58 and I ride a 62. I really liked the look of that frame and the fact that it was 853 steel, I kinda like steel bikes. But I don't want to buy a bike that doesn't fit me, even if it's a super deal. So first question would be has anyone seen a 2003 Fuji Roubaix Pro in a 61cm size? Next since they're likely all gone, what else would you recommend? I want my price to be around 4-500 dollars hopefully closer to 4, quality steel is a plus, but I'm open to Aluminum too. I saw some nice CAAD 5 frames at gvhbikes a week or so ago for 395 but now they appear to be gone too. Oh yeah, tacky paint jobs need not apply, the simpler the better. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
51 Posts
New Frame Suggestion

I bought a new KHS Flite 800 frame recently from www.getawaybikes.com. The frame is 853 reynolds and so far I really like it. They measure c-t and I bought a 52 cm which meaures more like a 50.5 c-c. I go mine thorugh them on e-bay for less than what they have it for on their website. I was please with their service. KHS makes a good product and it looks like they discontinued steel in 2004.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads-up on that site, very nice prices!

But I have now aquired a new frame, (also from ebay) a Specialized Allez Cro-Mo comp. It's Columbus FOCO, quite light for a steel frame and came with a nice carbon fork, the specialized C3. I can't wait to get it built up, I think it's going to be an awesome ride! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
re. looking for frame

try to get your hands on a jamis xenith frame. apparently, it is fantastic. it's made of the new reynolds lithium alloy, which gives it the weight of aluminum and the ride of a steel frame. i think a 55 cm weighs 2.5 pounds.

TACSTS said:
Hey I'm the first person to post in here I think, cool...anyhow...

I'm looking for a new frame. I've got an older lugged steel frame with a full ultegra kit on it and really want to get a bit more modern frame to help motivate me to get back out on the road. (shhhh, I'm really a mountain biker, don't tell :p ) I saw a Fuji Roubaix Pro frame today at my LBS that was on closeout but it's a 58 and I ride a 62. I really liked the look of that frame and the fact that it was 853 steel, I kinda like steel bikes. But I don't want to buy a bike that doesn't fit me, even if it's a super deal. So first question would be has anyone seen a 2003 Fuji Roubaix Pro in a 61cm size? Next since they're likely all gone, what else would you recommend? I want my price to be around 4-500 dollars hopefully closer to 4, quality steel is a plus, but I'm open to Aluminum too. I saw some nice CAAD 5 frames at gvhbikes a week or so ago for 395 but now they appear to be gone too. Oh yeah, tacky paint jobs need not apply, the simpler the better. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couple thoughts

I used to ride a Flite 800. Outstanding frame, like having an IF crown jewel for over $1k less. I now ride a Flite 2000 Al frame with CF stay. It's superlight and I really like it too. Both frames are on sale at Bicycleblowout.com, the 2000 is $500 and the 800 is around $400 I think. Can't go wrong with either, both raceable. The 800 felt smoother, the 2000 lets you feel the road more, but it's not harsh, I find it very comfortable. If you want classic steel feel on the cheap get the 800, if you want a solid and light Al/CF race frame get the 2000.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Flite 800

So far I love my Flite 800. Nice and smooth - compact geometry - sharp handling - and easy on the bones. I might be wrong but I don't think KHS is selling an 853 reynolds this year which is a bummer. There seem to be fewer and fewer reasonably priced bike companies selling steel bikes which I think is unfortunate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts