Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a few questions for all of you seasoned vets out there. I have just recently gotten into the sport of cycling and now race for my college team. Not knowing if I initially would like the sport (after being a devout mountain biker for many years), I bought something of an 'abused' '03 Trek 2300. I've put about 2500 miles on it since the beginning of the school year and am hooked on riding and racing. However, as the season is approaching I am looking into getting a different bike. My bike has served me well for training over the winter but I would like something lighter and faster.
The bikes I have looked at are as follows. I know they are quite varied but in the $2000+/- price range, I feel they are some of the best:

Cannondale CAAD8 R5000
Specialized S-Works E5
Jamis Xenith Team
Scott CR1 Team
Trek 5900
Specialized Roubaix Pro
Giant TCR Composite 0
Kestrel Evoke

Granted they would all be used to get them into the desired price range.

I am no goat on the hills but I can hang with other riders on them. I go hard on flats and can sprint well. Much of the racing I do will be criteriums. I would like a bike that accelerates briskly, is rather stiff, is not boringly stable, and that corners hard and predictably. Geometry is of no real concern, sloping or not. Nor is material as I am light enough where I won't tax carbon fiber.

If one or two of these bikes calls to you, let me know. Or if there are others you think I am overlooking, please tell me. Any feedback would be much appreciated

Many thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
68 Posts
I vouch for the S-works E5. I've been racing it the last three seasons. Very stiff and light bike = great climbing and sprinting bike, although I cant sprint a worth a damn. Handles great on a crit course. Great all around race bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the S-works is one I've been strongly considering. By all accounts, as you said, it is very stiff and climbs and sprints brilliantly.

Any other feelings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a sweet frame to be sure, but I am looking for a complete bike. The Merckx Race as a full bike is a little to expensive for me. Thanks though.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
BU cycling, sounds like collegiate cycling. In that case you want something you can throw in a van with lots of other bikes, toss around, and otherwise abuse but still be ok, so take the carbon bikes off the list. So that leaves you with the cannondale and the Specialized. Both of these are good bikes, both made by good companies with good reputations, I've ridden a cannondale, and a specialized, and they will both do you well. I feel that the cannondale would edge out the specialized a hair, but which one comes with the best stuff for the least price? Between those two bikes it's a toss up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd add the 613 to that list. I looked at the CR1 & Madone before getting my 613 & am very happy @ my decision. The AL cannondale would be a great crit bike for sure (the 613 also is, just more 'spensive if/when you wreck it) to the point where I'm thinking about picking one up as a 2nd bike...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Gunnar Roadie....

You will eventually go there anyway...Road cyclist evolution:

1. Cheap steel hybrid
2. Cheap aluminum
3. Carbon fiber/titanium
4. Steel

Just save yourself some money and skip a couple of steps and go right to the steel.

Mike

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Hey, MD80...do you work @Pratt?

To the OP - I agree w/most others here - aluminum would probably serve you best. Being a compact frame, I think the S-Works E5 might be a tad stiffer, and maybe harsher, than the Cannondale. If you really want the Cannondale, I'd also consider buying a NOS or used CAAD7 complete bike. That might be the best bang for the buck. Best of luck racing for BU.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
jtferraro said:
Hey, MD80...do you work @Pratt?

To the OP - I agree w/most others here - aluminum would probably serve you best. Being a compact frame, I think the S-Works E5 might be a tad stiffer, and maybe harsher, than the Cannondale. If you really want the Cannondale, I'd also consider buying a NOS or used CAAD7 complete bike. That might be the best bang for the buck. Best of luck racing for BU.
I'd actually stay away from the CAAD7, it's headtube stiffness isn't very good, the CAAD8 solved this problem. Seems minor, but the CAAD8 really is a better frame. As for which one is stiffer, CAAD8 or E5, toss up. I put out allot of watts, and they are both very stiff in the BB.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Package Deal

FTF said:
...So that leaves you with the cannondale and the Specialized. Both of these are good bikes, both made by good companies with good reputations, I've ridden a cannondale, and a specialized, and they will both do you well...
Based on feedback from my son who has raced both bikes he says he prefers the Cannondale for crit. racing. Neither one is going to lose you a race so look for the total package deal component wise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FTF, yes, I race for Bucknell University in PA. Of the ones I listed I am in fact leaning toward the CAAD8 and the Sworks. However the Jamis and the TCR seem great. A kid on my team, ECCC D2 champ last year, had an E5 as his team bike last year, a Xenith this year and loves them both. I guess ultimately it'll come down to which one I can find at the best price. Any others you think I'm missing?

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
maybe i'm dating myself here, but your order is all wrong.

for me it was;

cheap steel mountain bike
cheap messenger/track bike
fancy italian steel
so-so c'dale alu
and now CF
one of these days it'll be Ti :)

mprevost said:
You will eventually go there anyway...Road cyclist evolution:

1. Cheap steel hybrid
2. Cheap aluminum
3. Carbon fiber/titanium
4. Steel

Just save yourself some money and skip a couple of steps and go right to the steel.

Mike

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
BUCycling09 said:
... anyone?
for a newbie to cycling, and especially considering you're in college, i have simple advice: keep it cheap.

forget DA or Record for now.

Ultegra would be great, 105 OK.

whatever is cheapest to replace when you crash.

with that logic, get a decent, but reasonable quality frame.

that could be a tcr or a tcr comp, or it can be a variety of other frames.

most important make sure it fits.

never forget that it's a TOOL not a JEWEL

happy hunting :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
jtferraro said:
Ah, cool. I'm just across the river, downtown. Perhaps we've met?
Not unless you live in California ;). I am guessing you probably live in Hartford, CT? Pratt is a large company with many other US locations. I work for the sister branch, Pratt&Whitney Canada, which deals mostly with corporate jet and helicopter applications. Pratt in Hartford produces large commercial airliner sized powerplants, and also for military jets.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Seriously, if I were you, go ahead and buy your fancy bike, but train on that, race on your beat up 2300. Why? Because if you do a lot of racing, especially crits, you will crash. It's nearly a certainty. You don't want to crash something that is too expensive. If you're concerned about weight or want to give the 2300 a performance kick, get some new wheels built around your current hubs. Nicer rims, new build, it will feel like a new machine.

brewster

1 - 20 of 23 Posts