Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for a new saddle. Been looking at several saddles on the internet, some of the them are.

Forté Pro SLX Saddle
E3 Form Titanium Saddle
Forté Classic Saddle
Allay by Topeak Racing Sport 1.1 Bicycle Seat (Medium) Question size and how to determine.

Has anyone ever used any of these saddles.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Selle Italia has demo saddles at LBS's. Cost is zero and a deposit is required.

Don't spend a lot of money on saddles. Demo them first. Read a lot about each saddle you are trying and the best way to adjust it. A degree difference in angle and a mm difference in height and fore/aft adjustment can mean the difference between nirvana and an ass hatchet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hereby move to drop the term "saddle" and officially adopt the term "ass hatchet." Brilliant!!!

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
I rode the E3 for a while; it was alright. My dad likes it. I ride a Specialized Toupe in the 143 size, which I think is great, but they're pricy.

The Peformance saddles are a good place to start because of their return policy; good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
definitely demo before you buy. I can't stress this enough. I did the Competitive Cyclist saddle demo program, which I highly recommend, and of the saddles I thought would be in my Top 3, they were all no good. the one I ended up buying was not even on my radar initially, but boy is it comfy!

as others have said, saddles are totally subjective. what works for me could be lousy for you. buying a saddle based on a salesman's/website's description is worthless untill you put it on your bike and settle in for a few miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What saddles have you already tried? What about those saddles didn't you like?

Trying a lot of different saddles is the only way to go. Performance is good about returns.

If numbness is an issue for you, try the Selle SMP Strike Glider. It's costly, but solves that problem well.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
I currently rack up all my miles on 2 bikes. One, the crit bike, has an E3. It's great for hammering and filling the legs with pain, but kills my contact points after a couple of hours. The other, the adventure bike, has a Brooks B17. I can sit on that puppy all day, but if I hammer and get the legs all swelled up, it chafes my inner thighs.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
After 45 years of bike riding, and 27 years of riding "With a passion" on quality road bikes, I finally put a Brooks B17 on my Colnago MXL. Holy Crap! Why didn't I try one of these gems YEARS ago? Probably my snob meter wouldn't allow it. I tried the B17 because I didn't want to drop the mucho denaros on the racier versions before deciding if the Brooks would work for me.

Like CK, I notice the rub on the inner thighs, but not a problem so far, but my max ride has only been about 65 miles. The B17 was a pleasure right out of the box, and has been getting better with every ride (only 150 miles so far). If I find chafe to become an issue, I might go to the Team Pro with shallower skirts. Bike Island has the B17 for $67 including shipping, plus Proofhide for $20. I'd give one a shot, if you are the type of rider with the body geo that fits the Brooks, you won't be sorry!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.